CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

WOT Question

CRC2362

AKA: WFO (Wide F'n Open..), FTB (full tilt boogie..) floored, nailed, stomped, punched, firewalled, ..any others? ;)

I think we'd all agree that Sally Field said it best in the original Smokey and the Bandit movie:

"I've got the metal to the pedal...and the thing to the floor!"

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

No guys, I get a later shift when I select a lower gear, try it! Doing the WOT, you can leave it in drive, at 25, it will downshift to the lowest gear. But from a "I'm doing a 1/4 mile pass from a standing start" leave it in second or first. It dosen't matter, as long as it's not in drive or OD. From a standing start, select a lower gear, it WILL shift, just later, and that is the difference between Road and Track's 15.6 1/4 time, and your potential 14.9 time. The car will NOT over-rev, but will not get it's best time unless you use the rev limiter!

With your foot to the floor, it will shift at redline in Drive or Second...or Third, or First. The only advantage to having it in second, is the increased line pressure. It's will shift at redline anyway, no matter one. Only under light acceleration will you notice a difference in shift points, since you are manually selct a gear.

edit: at 25mph, even with the shifter in second, it will still downshift. There is nothing preventing it from engaging a lower gear, especially since first gear runs out at about 38mph in the STS.

No guys, I get a later shift when I select a lower gear, try it! Doing the WOT, you can leave it in drive, at 25, it will downshift to the lowest gear.

STYES, so you're saying, that if you have it in "Drive", and you floor it, it will shift BEFORE the redline? That doesn't sound right. If you're at WOT, it should shift at redline no matter what gear you're in. The vehicle is designed to shift at redline at WOT. If yours doesn't, you may want to look at the TPS or something...perhaps the transmission is not getting the "WOT signal".

Are WOTs good for all internal combustion engines to keep the rings flexabile and the carbon build-up cleaned out ? I'm thinking my snowblower could use a good wide open run.

Are WOTs good for all internal combustion engines to keep the rings flexabile and the carbon build-up cleaned out ? I'm thinking my snowblower could use a good wide open run.

Sure, WOT is good for anything to keep it well-lubricated. However (if your comment was serious rather than joking), I'm sure a carb rebuild would do more for it than holding the throttle open. There may be years of varish buildup in those orifices. On most small engines, the governed speed ends up being near 100% throttle anyway (under load).

Archived