CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

WOT Question

CRC2362

Ah, the wonderful world of WOT's with a Northstar...... :D

Not much to it really. I have found that the best way is to use the on ramp/merge area onto the freeway. A simple pedal to the metal from 35-40 mph up to around 80-85 mph will usually do the trick. The basic principal here is having the engine under load while it shifts through the gears. This will clear out any carbon build-up in the engine which you will be able to see coming out of the exhaust in the rearview.

Repeat this process until you don't see anything else coming out of the exhaust. Do that once a week and you should have no trouble.

Have fun!!

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

Happy to help, but if you want some real in depth info on this topic try this link. There is some good technical info on why WOT's are important.

Enjoy:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...e+open+throttle

Brad

----------------------------

1999 Deville Concours [sOLD]

Blk/Blk w/gold package

I like to do WOT's fom like 20 and making the tires squeel! They are also fun on the highway starting at 70 Mph! I do them for fun on a regular basis! I used to feel guilty about them, because I thought they were bad!

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

CRC2362

WOTs are definitely the fun part of maintenance. These guys pretty much have it covered from what I've read. Nice avatar you have there. At first I thought you were growe3. He's a long time member and has been using it for as long as i can remember. Another fella has it too but appropriately changed the color to resemble a stainless steel look.

I noticed that you're on your 4th post. Welcome to the board. :)

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

The posts so far have it generally covered, but here is the specifics. To fully utilize the WOT, you should do the following. Start at an entrance ramp, coasting at 25, then floor it hard. Accelerate to 75, then downshift to the lowest gear lifting of the throttle fully, letting the engine brake the car to 50 MPH. Accelerate back to 75, leaving the car in the lowest gear. Don't worry, the car will not over-rev, the rev limiter will prevent it. Do this three times, and do this procedure once a week. The idea here is to "work" the rings on "both" ends via hard accel and hard decel.

Styles, are you sure it is safe to downshift to 2nd when going 75 MPH? And, pelase explain in detail how to do it properly. I never played with the shifter that way.

Thanks.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

If you manually shift into 2nd gear at 25-30mph, I think it would be better, since 2nd gear runs out at about 80mph at WOT anyway. With the shifter in 2nd, you can take the car all the way up to 75, before it will shift to 3rd gear. Once there, as STYES said, lift your foot off the gas, and allow the engine to brake the car, an slow it back down. Do this repeatedly, until you see no more smoke coming out the back.

edit: At 25mph, you car would probably downshift into 1st gear, and then go back into 2nd, which isn't necessary. 1st gear runs out at about 35mph anyway, so it doesn't do any good to have it downshift. Another reason why I would select 2nd before you do the WOT.

edit: At 25mph, you car would probably downshift into 1st gear, and then go back into 2nd, which isn't necessary. 1st gear runs out at about 35mph anyway, so it doesn't do any good to have it downshift. Another reason why I would select 2nd before you do the WOT.

That's the case for L37 cars with the 3.71 transaxle. If you have an LD8 Northstar (SLS, ESC, Deville, etc), 1st gear is good until close to 50 mph. 2nd gear is good up until close to 100 mph.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

....At first I thought you were growe3. He's a long time member and has been using it for as long as i can remember. ....

Hey kger2,

I thought that was me for a minute also. I created my Cadillac avatar with a little basic Photoshop a few years ago.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I was out doing my weekly wots and i was in front of a van that an old man of about 65 was driving! He seen me and then I had to stop at the lights ahead and the old man wrote down my liscence plate! In hope that he couldn't do anything with the written down liscence plate I stomped on her when the light turned green and never looked back! :lol:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

The reason I say to select a lower gear and not shift is because during WOT, the car will hold shifts longer than in drive. The extra "couple of hundred RPM" really makes the engine work more to it's potential. The rev limiter will NEVER let the engine spin past what is safe. Even when you hit 75 and let off the gas, the car will only match the gear shifter to a safe limit. Often when I do the WOT, I try to leave it in drive as I approach 25 MPH because the downshift seems to put a greater load on the engine. It is at 75 that I drop it to the lowest gear, and the car does not accept that gear, but the one that does not go beyond the redline per se. As the trans brakes the engine, it will drop to a lower gear when it is safe to do so. Even if you play with the shifting yourself, the car is still going to do it's own thing. Manually selecting second gear from the get go is more for us drag racers. There is no question that launching with the gear selector in low 2 or one is going to produce a much better 1/4 mile time than when you leave the shifter in drive. The car simply shifts sooner in drive, than in low gear when it is selected. Just try it. The car simply will not overrev! The key to the WOT is the RPM of the engine, on both accel and decel. Regardless of how you are driving the car, and what gear you select, the car will shift itself anyway. To select low gear just makes the car shift where it should given the circumstances.

Oh, I wasn't reffering to shift gears while WOT per say, but merely performaing the whole maneuver in one gear. Since I usually start from about 35mph, I just put it in 2nd, and bring it up to about 78mph. having it in second simply allows me to do this 2-3 times, without having to put the shifter back in drive. I just accelerate to 78mph, and then back down to about 35mph all while still in 2nd gear. Once I'm done, I slow the car back down, put in in drive, and go on my way. It's more of an issoe of convenience, not having to woory about moving the shifter, until I'm done.

You are definitely right about the 2nd gear start increasing 1/4 mile times. The much firmer shift allows for less lag between gears. The wheels chirping loudly as it shifts is great too. :lol:

There is no question that launching with the gear selector in low 2 or one is going to produce a much better 1/4 mile time than when you leave the shifter in drive. The car simply shifts sooner in drive, than in low gear when it is selected. Just try it. The car simply will not overrev!

While I agree that having the shifter in "2" will decrease times due to a firmer shift, my car does not shift earlier in "D" vs. any other range. It shifts when the tach reads about 6100 rpm no matter what range I'm in, if I'm at WOT.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hey, dont mean to ask a dumb question but whats WOT stand for?

Wide Open Throttle

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Hey, dont mean to ask a dumb question but whats WOT stand for?

Wide Open Throttle

AKA: WFO (Wide F'n Open..), FTB (full tilt boogie..) floored, nailed, stomped, punched, firewalled, ..any others? ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

There is no question that launching with the gear selector in low 2 or one is going to produce a much better 1/4 mile time than when you leave the shifter in drive. The car simply shifts sooner in drive, than in low gear when it is selected. Just try it. The car simply will not overrev!

While I agree that having the shifter in "2" will decrease times due to a firmer shift, my car does not shift earlier in "D" vs. any other range. It shifts when the tach reads about 6100 rpm no matter what range I'm in, if I'm at WOT.

I think STYES was reffering to just normal driving. At WOT, it will shift at redline anyway, but with it in second, it has no choice but to do so.

Hey BOB, are those blacked out tail lights? They sort of look tinted.

Nope, just the angle of the magic lighting that professional photogragher was using... ;)

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Archived