CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission shifting back to second gear?

remmans

I have the 4t80e transmission in a 1995 Aurora. I just put a motor and tranny back in the car. I had bought the car from a lady with a cracked block (froze) so I had to replace the motor. She had also told me that it would not shift into 3rd gear because somebody that tried to steal the car did something to it. When she took it to a transmission shop they told her it was the shifter cable? When I had the transmission out I replaced the shift solenoids, speed sensor and the TCC. When flooring the gas on the car the car shifts at 6000 no problem through all the gears. When I am driving it normal the shift normal sometimes with no check engine light. And then sometimes I take off from a stop sign the next time it will not really shift from 2 to 3rd unless I accelerate then let off the gas and then it will shift then when hit the gas again it will down shift again into 2nd gear and the check engine light will come on. The light will come on then go off depending if the tranny is working or not. Any ideas? I heard maybe modulator? Anybody know where that is located? Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide? I have changed out the PCM, PROM, TPS with the same results. Is there a kick down cable on these trannies connected to the TPS or what wires should I check that control shifts

Go to your local auto parts store and buy the Actron OBD ll PacketScan to retrieve the codes. Without the codes you are operating in the dark. Depending upon how much you want to spend they have a few different models. I bought the CP9125 that allows me to read and erase the codes, it also has a CDROM that provides the code descriptions... Mike

Get the codes and you will be in better shape, post them here. This could be something very simple.

Its about the size of the Tricorder that we use on the Enterprise.

Go to your local auto parts store and buy the Actron OBD ll PacketScan to retrieve the codes. Without the codes you are operating in the dark. Depending upon how much you want to spend they have a few different models. I bought the CP9125 that allows me to read and erase the codes, it also has a CDROM that provides the code descriptions

I saw some at Wal-Mart for some $40. I think is worth having one in the toolbox.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Go to your local auto parts store and buy the Actron OBD ll PacketScan to retrieve the codes. Without the codes you are operating in the dark. Depending upon how much you want to spend they have a few different models. I bought the CP9125 that allows me to read and erase the codes, it also has a CDROM that provides the code descriptions

I saw some at Wal-Mart for some $40. I think is worth having one in the toolbox.

Yes, I spent about $50 for mine if I recall..

Archived