CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 Cadillac STS

Jason15036

I am in need of buying a pcm computer for my 1995 Cadillac STS. I do not know how I am supposed to go at buying one. Can I just by a used from the same year and model car or do I have to get the one with the same exact serv. NO. or can i just buy one from my year car and style.

My numbers on my pcm read:

SERV.NO. 16197429 BMTU

*86BMTUM942413077*

16210506 BMTU

*86BMTUM942413077*

This is my exact numering and labeling on my pcm.

Below is a direct quote from my 94' GM Service Manual regarding the PCM and PCM PROM:

The Northstar powertrain has very complex components with equally complex operating characteristics. Therefore, it is essential that the powertrain diagnostic procedures given in this and other service manual sections be used for diagnosis before any repairs are made. While the PCM and PROM may appear on the surface to be the source of a problem, they may, in fact, be operating properly based on incorrect inputs they receive. Powertrain diagnostic procedures are designed to arrive at the CORRECT repair as QUICKLY as possible. DO NOT, under any circumstances, replace a PCM or PROM unless directed to do so by diagnostic procedures in the service manual, other service information sources, or through technical assistance.

Service of the PCM should normally consist of either replacement of the PCM or PROM, not both. If a diagnostic procedure calls for the PCM or PCM PROM to be replaced, the PROM and PCM should be checked first to see if they are the correct parts. The PROM can easily be checked using parameters PD97 and PD99. If the part numbers are correct, remove and separate the PCM and the PROM, replace one or the other (whichever is faulty) and reconnect the two. Important: The service PCM will not contain a PROM. The original PROM must be retained to reinstall in the service PCM. Care should be taken when separating the PROM from the PCM so that neither is damaged.

After replacement of a PCM or PROM, clear PCM codes and check the vehicle from proper operation. Poor engine performance, surging, loss of cruise control, improper ‘SERVICE ENGINE SOON’ MIL operation, no starts, and/or hard starts may be caused by an improperly seated PROM and if the PROM is missing, Code I034 will set and the vehicle will not start.

NOTICE: To prevent internal PCM damage, the ignition must be ‘OFF’ when disconnecting or reconnecting power to the PCM, as when the battery cables, PCM connectors, or fuses are connected or disconnected.

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

NOTICE: Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) Sensitive Component. Follow Handling And Measuring Precautions Listed in 8A-4.

IMPORTANT:

Key must be ‘OFF’ for a minimum of 30 seconds before disconnecting PCM connectors or battery voltage to allow TP Sensor/Idle Learned values, Transaxle Shift Adapt values, Transaxle Oil Life Index and Cruise Control Lash/Learn to be stored in the EEPROM. Failure to wait 30 seconds may result in EEPROM reset, Code P080 and Transaxle Oil Life Index being reset to 0.

what manual can I buy to use in the diagnosis to find out if the pcm or prom is bad. Also how do I find out the prom number if it is pd97 or pd99. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for the reply. I not to enclined on the what to do in the diganosis and changing of the pcm, so anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Foreget AutoZone unless you just want basic repair information. Don't you have a 95' Seville STS? Is the STS and Seville two different cars? Because the GM Service Manual is available for the 95' Seville.

• 1 year later...

i have a pcm that i could sell you. It has the model number 16192516. It came out of a car that was hit. I ran the numbers at http://www.autoecms.com/ and that says that it is for your car. If you want it, just call me 856 264 4974 and we'll work something out.

I got it for my car but it was the wrong one. The one I need is with the model number 16183636, if anyone knows where i could get one. It would be greatly appreciated.

I would double check that number you say you need. I went to rockauto.com and it states that for your year and model the AC Delco part number is 88961146 (replaces 16197429). Check http://rockauto.com they have it for about $150

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

i cant find a manual for mine 97 concours for 30 what am i not seeing

That was a special "limited time offer" for manuals prior, I believe, to 1996 or thereabouts. If you missed the "window of oportunity" the price went back to $130.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived