CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Filter

NINAROSS

Hey guys. I would like to know where the fuel filters are located on a 92 cadillac seville, my dad says that there are two, one near the back of the car and one in the front under the hood. I was driving last friday and my car just stopped while I was in motion, it tries to start but when I place my foot on the pedal I get no gas at all. I had my fuel pump replaced last yr in september, a friend of mine had a similar problem and said changing the filter was worth a shot, if it really is two filters. I was thinking maybe the mechanic only changed the fuel filter in the back and not the one in front.

I had a 91 with 4.9 and the fuel filter was under the car between the front edge of the drivers seat and rear of the LF wheel. My 91 manual for some reason does not show its location but that comes from my memory.. If you kneel down you will not readily see it, if I recall, its behind the frame rail (undoubtedly to protect it).

My feeling however is that its not likely the fuel filter. A failing fuel filter with cause other drivability issues before it starves the engine suddenly. I would take a look at the Fuel Pump Relay. Given that you replaced your fuel pump recently, its possible that the old pump overheated the fuel pump relay due to increased current draw required as the fuel pump was going bad. This condition could have charred the contacts in the relay. The fuel pump relay in the 91 is mounted in a relay center behind the glove box, if you have your manual I would have a look in it to verify its location. I am sure this is an inexpensive part, however, IF (and only IF), your car uses the same relay for some other component, you might try swapping it in, if it works buy a new relay and you are done.. However, do not plug a relay in unless it is the EXACT part number. Obviously don't take out a relay from a critical component, lol.. Please report back what you find.. Mike

Ninaross,

One fuel filter is attached to to the pump and does not require maintenance. The second filter is inline and attached to fuel lines. It is a 2'' plastic cilynder. Just follow the fuel lines and you'll see it attached with a bracket.

Do you hear the fuel pump for a few seconds when you just turn the ignition on (engine is off)?

Scotty rught - the relay may be bad, perhapsyou can bypass it for a few seconds to start the pump...

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Nina,

I think it is rather unlikely that the filter is the problem. Filters will get plugged and start to exhibit problems slowly rather than suddenly. Usually at high demand first such as highway driving or WOT. I'm not saying don't change it, just don't be too surprised if it doesn't solve your problem. If it quit suddenly, I would think it is more likely something electrical.

I had the same problem with my 92 Deville. I changed the fuel pressure regulator and all was well. You can pull the vacuum hose of the FPR and have someone try to start the engine. If there is gas coming out of the hose connection on the FPR then it needs changing.

Archived