CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

SMOKED BY A HEMI

ed blaq

I was rolling home early this morning after a night out with the wife runnig in the far left lane a three lane interstate. I was doing a little above the posted limit of 70 when I came up on a new Chrysler 300M. I'm not one to tailgate anyone at 1am to get them to move over, so I hit my signal and shot past him in the center lane. Well MR. HEMI did not like that and he also got on the gas I had at least a three car lenght lead on him and as I approached 90mph the 300M blew by me with impressive acceleration. With the wife shaking her head I backed off knowing I could not catch him. HUMBLE PIE for a late night snack! V-8's Rock!

post-3-1108312175_thumb.jpg

Ed,

I would catagorize this as prudent driving on your part.

I have had some run ins with the new Hemi powered Chryslers also. I have been able to blow them away up to the point that the speed limiter cuts the fuel off.

I too have backed off when the conditions did not support continued acceleration. I have run onto some kids or other people who have a "WIN AT ANY COST" attitude. Life is too short to play a game like that. They go home thinking that they have beaten a Northstar, when in reality, all that they have proven is that they think that they are immortal.

The Hemi does have impressive performance, but if you talk to the owners about their fuel milage, I think that you will find that most are not to pleased with the fuel consumption of their chosen ride.

Britt

Britt

Ed,

I have had some run ins with the new Hemi powered Chryslers also. I have been able to blow them away up to the point that the speed limiter cuts the fuel off.

I too have backed off when the conditions did not support continued acceleration. I have run onto some kids or other people who have a "WIN AT ANY COST" attitude. Life is too short to play a game like that. They go home thinking that they have beaten a Northstar, when in reality, all that they have proven is that they think that they are immortal.

The Hemi does have impressive performance, but if you talk to the owners about their fuel milage, I think that you will find that most are not to pleased with the fuel consumption of their chosen ride.

Britt

I Know what you mean! One time me and a Beetle 1.8 turbo were givin er at the lights and I was like 2 lengths ahead when it came to the next set of lights, but it was red! There was no one near the intersection, but immidiatly I braked, and the beetle flew right through the red light probably thinking he beet the old Cadillac!

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

WE CAN BEAT A LOT OF CARS OUT THERE, AND ALOT OF CARS CAN BEAT US OUT THERE.......SO WHAT.  BOTTOM LINE IS, WE ARE IN A CADILLAC AND THEY ARE DRIVING A PIECE OF SHXX.

You know, I've got to agree with that. These new Dodges will become unremarkable quickly..(if they're not already ;) ). I've been in the Hawaiian islands and Las Vegas recently, the Dodge 300's and that Magnum wagon thing are SO abundant as rentals that's they're extremely noticable. I'll try to venture a guess...maybe 40% of the cars on the road?...No kidding. What's that tell you about the future? Soon those things will everywhere as used cars.

Hemi or not (they all look the same), who wants to be that common?

PS, while I was in Vegas, I rose with a buddy that had a 300 rental. Unimpressive, stiff tin box, IMHO...

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I don't think there's anything special about those Hemi powered Chryslers. They look like the big old yellow 1950s taxis in New York. :blink: Big front wind pusher profile. The front end looks like it belongs on a Mack truck. :lol: I would rather have a Cadillac! ;)

Britt

I don't know about that. The hemi that it uses has selective cylinder technology on it, 4 banger normal 8 during fun time :D

Ed,

Britt

I Know what you mean! One time me and a Beetle 1.8 turbo were givin er at the lights and I was like 2 lengths ahead when it came to the next set of lights, but it was red! There was no one near the intersection, but immidiatly I braked, and the beetle flew right through the red light probably thinking he beet the old Cadillac!

Those 1.8 turbos are pretty quick! I know because my next door neighbor has one and I used to poke fun at his little dome car! When I seen that thing take off from the line I had a little more respect for it! The base models are nothing special!

Britt, what mods do you have on your SLS? Those 300Cs do 0-60 in the 5s, and the 1/4 mile in the low 14s at almost 100 mph! You must be getting another 75-100 horse out of that Northstar to be able to blow those away at will. Do tell!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I took at Magnum RT one time off the line. They have the Hemi, but they also have a rather tall final drive ratio (2.82:1) instead of the 300C which has (3.55:1). This makes them a little slower. I shouldn;t have won, but I did. Maybe he had to much wheel spin, or it wasn;t broken in yet or something. Even the Magnum RT is supposed to do 0-60mph in 6.3 seconds.

I don't mean to start an argument, but I'm afraid I will. Isn't this an exact replay of the muscle car craze from the 1960s? I'll be the first to admit I wasn't even BORN then, so if I'm out of line, please let me know. But as I understand it, the very essence of a muscle car was a big V8 engine in a plebian car. A Tempest, or Cutlass, or Nova, etc. All of these cars are notorious today, but back then, they were a dime a dozen. I suspect the only way to tell them apart from the crowd was a "442" emblem, or a "GTO" badge on the fender, and the snorting exhaust.

Today's market isn't favorable to 2-doors, so this reincarnation is being played out in the 4-door realm. But to me, a 300c (and the GTO for that matter) is EXACTLY what beloved muscle cars were back in the day: plebian bodies stuffed with engines which drove them to outrun many smaller "performance" cars of the day. Yeah, the 300c is cheap, but so was a Nova! Yet the 300c doesn't get the "respect" something like an SS396 Nova probably does...even though they're the exact same car in my estimation.

I agree that the novelty will wear off sooner or later. The PT Cruiser has become about as common as a Honda Civic around here. Unfortunately, for Cruizerheads, even the high-pressure 2.4L Turbo isn't that much of a performance model, so as soon as you see one, you KNOW it's slow. But I don't think the same can be said about the 300c. Like muscle cars of yore, little distinguishes visually it from its workaday cousins, like a standard 300. Upgrade wheels, chrome-tipped dual exhaust, and badging. Sounds a LOT like a '70 442 to me. ;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I believe the 300C with the Hemi will blast the STS off the line from a standstill, but on the open highway from around 80mph and up, I would go with the STS. The only hemi I faced so far was a Ram, but that was no contest after about 70 mph. I have seen a few SLS drivers hang with the STS up to about 80, then fade, fade fast. The STS would be a lot more of a handful for any 300C Hemi on the open highway than the SLS.

I don't mean to start an argument, but I'm afraid I will. Isn't this an exact replay of the muscle car craze from the 1960s? I'll be the first to admit I wasn't even BORN then, so if I'm out of line, please let me know. But as I understand it, the very essence of a muscle car was a big V8 engine in a plebian car. A Tempest, or Cutlass, or Nova, etc. All of these cars are notorious today, but back then, they were a dime a dozen. I suspect the only way to tell them apart from the crowd was a "442" emblem, or a "GTO" badge on the fender, and the snorting exhaust.

Today's market isn't favorable to 2-doors, so this reincarnation is being played out in the 4-door realm. But to me, a 300c (and the GTO for that matter) is EXACTLY what beloved muscle cars were back in the day: plebian bodies stuffed with engines which drove them to outrun many smaller "performance" cars of the day. Yeah, the 300c is cheap, but so was a Nova! Yet the 300c doesn't get the "respect" something like an SS396 Nova probably does...even though they're the exact same car in my estimation.

I agree that the novelty will wear off sooner or later. The PT Cruiser has become about as common as a Honda Civic around here. Unfortunately, for Cruizerheads, even the high-pressure 2.4L Turbo isn't that much of a performance model, so as soon as you see one, you KNOW it's slow. But I don't think the same can be said about the 300c. Like muscle cars of yore, little distinguishes visually it from its workaday cousins, like a standard 300. Upgrade wheels, chrome-tipped dual exhaust, and badging. Sounds a LOT like a '70 442 to me. ;)

I lived in both California and New York in the 1960's and drove many of the 'muscle' cars. They were not dime a dozen, and certainly distiguishable from the base cars. You did not see thousands of look alikes rolling out of rent-a-car lots.. Trust me, you could tell and 'SS' from a standard, or a Road Runner from granpa's grocery getter.. A GTO was GTO, no second looks. ;)

When there's going to be as many of those Dodges on the road as I predict, good luck telling a hemi from a v-6. They all look the same to me..

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I hate chrysler 300's I wanna race one when I see them but I have necer rolled up beside one yet! Onece and old fella flew right by me and it made me wanna pull a u turn but i didn't HA HA! :lol:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I don't think theres any way that a stock STS could beat a stock chrysler 300 C!!!! Just my opinion!

user posted image

I hate them! I would never take one butr they are fast! They are just dumb looking and they are a chrysler!

user posted image

Where is the torque curve of the new HEMI?

I think for one a STS is kinda' of a dog from a dead stand still. Once it winds up though, it's quite different. But still a Hemi has 72 CI, 70 HP (45 on a STS) & 90-95 lb/ft of torque over our Northstars. The power to weight ration has to be similiar (4000 lbs ... give or take). That leaves the axle ratio as the final factor, but only if the transmission gear ratios are similiar. ANother thing is the gear spacing (wide ratio as opposed to close ratio if you will). The bottom line (or so it appears) these engines are more powerful ... HP to HP and TQ to TQ than the 300/275 HP Northstars. The Magnums/300C's are speed limited to 130 as are most STS/ESC/DTS Cadillac's ... if that matters.

One thing about the Hemi I have thought of is emission testing down the road. I don't think the Hemi combustion chamber is the cleanest burining chamber in the world. I was at a Dodge dealer the other day and I was looking at the Magnum R/T"s and I noticed the emission sticker on the car and it (as all of them) was reading a TAD on the high side.

Jim

Trust me, you could tell and 'SS' from a standard, or a Road Runner from granpa's grocery getter.. A GTO was GTO, no second looks. ;)

When there's going to be as many of those Dodges on the road as I predict, good luck telling a hemi from a v-6. They all look the same to me..

The GTO was a hopped up Lemans. You can tell the difference between the 300 and 300c by the "c" and the hemi badges, not to say it hasn't been rebadged though :)

Archived