CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Over Heating

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well everyone,

I thought i was able to put a end to this saga, but i cant. It's doing the same thing it did last week. Sunday thru this morning the temp was no higher the 205-degrees sometimes going up to 225-but then dropping back down to 198-212. Well coming home today on the highway there was a accident so i was in stop and go traffic the temp did not go over 225-degrees fans came on temp fluctuated between 208-221. When i got off the highway temps stayed between 208-212. About 5-minutes from home, temps started climbing up to 245-sometimes 250-degrees. Got home and of course coolant was boiling and leaking out of the overflow tube. Here is a list of what i did to the car since i had it for a year.

New radiator last June

New water pump & thermostat last August

New Water pump belt & serpentine belt last August

New Heater Core and radiator cap 2-weeks ago also took off the tank on the side and flushed.

New water pump tensioner pulley and another new water pump belt last week.

Changed the thermostat again on Saturday.

There is no oil in the antifreeze, or antifreeze in the oil.

I guess i'm going to try the water pump again. The one i put in in August was from Auto Zone. I'll try one from Caddy this time, what else can i do. :(

N

That is very odd I must say, if anything you should have boiled over in the accident traffic. The NEXT time you go to 240 look at your fans. Its possible that you have intermittant fans. I had a fan on my 91 that was turning but it did not turn strong or fast at all it was really weak, I had to replace it.. Look at your fans closely the next time it gets hot. Maybe you have a bad fan relay that is not putting your fans into HIGH!!!

Is there a spring in the hose that lead to the pull side of the water pump, does anyone know that? I have seen the springs rust, and allow the hose to collapse even partially starving the engine of coolant. Just a thought

PS, I dont think its your water pump..... aftermarket or not, don't start replacing parts. You may want to do a cooling system pressure test.

Hey Scotty,

What i was thinking about doing was replacing all of the small 3/8 and smaller hoses. When i changed the thermostat i did not see a spring in the lower hose. I did not check the top one. When i did squeeze it though, it did not feel like there was a spring in it. I'm trying to stay away from the head gasket idea. I figured if it was the head gasket, it was overheat all the time.

It will overheat under a load. What kind of roads are you on the last 5 minutes of your trip? Are you uphill?

How sure are you that your water pump belt and tensioner are doing there job? Mike

Hey Scotty,

Your from long island just like me. I take the northern state to and from woodbury everyday. I live in elmont, so in the evening when i come home to beat some traffic, i get off a hempstead tpke near EAB, and take that all the way home.

I'm going to let it sit for the rest of the week and drive the wife car. Early saturday morning, i will be knee deep into it again

Hey Scotty,

Your from long island just like me. I take the northern state to and from woodbury everyday. I live in elmont, so in the evening when i come home to beat some traffic, i get off a hempstead tpke near EAB, and take that all the way home.

I'm going to let it sit for the rest of the week and drive the wife car. Early saturday morning, i will be knee deep into it again

That is very odd. Not many hills on Long Island, :lol: I missed that you were from LI...

Hey All,

It's me again.

Could it be possible that air is still trapped in the line? My reason for asking is because as i mentioned in my previous post about the overheating again after a couple of day's. Well this morning before going to work, i took the wife's car today. I decided to open the cap on the tank. It was bone dry. There was no antifreeze on the ground. All the time when i was driving home yesterday when the temperature was rising, i did not smell any antifreeze, and the carpet was dry. I think i still have some sort of air pocket that just won't leave. I'm going out now to fill the tank back up, and will let you know what happens.

Why don't you try some timeserts in your engine, maybe that will work? :blink:

I'm not choosing any sides here, however, I had an over heating problem and have done all the things rollingthunder1994 tried.

I finally followed bill bbobynski suggestion and pressurized each cyl and listened for bubbles in the coolant.

And yes, #7 cyl would provide a steady string of bubbles in the coolant when pressurized with 125 lbs of air.

NOTE: No visable bubbles in the expansion tank, just the sound.

I had the dreaded head bolt pull problem. (Needed Timeserts)

I've been following this thread with interest hoping you will find a simple solution.

I think it's getting near the time to pressurize the cylinders and know for sure if you have a head gasket problem or not.

In my case I drove the car six months with the problem. I carried a jug of antifreeze with me and didn't push it on the hills.

Also, I never did have any vapor or smell out the exhaust that indicated a head gasket problem, just overheating and using antifreeze.

I hope this is not your problem, however it looks like you are running out of things to try.

Barry

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

Barry, I spoke to this fellow on the phone last night and suggested that he purchase a cooling system pressurization pump and pressurize the cooling system to 15 or 16 pounds and see if he looses pressure or if he spots any leaks. Given the recent problems we have seen with the heater piping I am keeping my fingers crossed...

There are a couple of interesting aspects to this story, the prior owner used huge amounts of sealant so much so that there was heavy sediment in the radiator and heater core and it wasnt the recommended cooling supplement..

He has replaced lots of parts including the radiator, heater core, water pump, stat... Mike

I am keeping my fingers crossed...

There are a couple of interesting aspects to this story, the prior owner used huge amounts of sealant so much so that there was heavy sediment in the radiator and heater core and it wasnt the recommended cooling supplement..

He has replaced lots of parts including the radiator, heater core, water pump, stat... Mike

You can cross your fingers, arms, legs, eyes, it doesn't matter. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem. There is nothing interesting about any aspect of this story except the fact that this poor guy was optimistically led on a wild goose chase in the first place. Optimism works best when tempered with realism.

Well James Thomas Smith you may be right. While I hope it's not true, it may turn out that this guy has a head gasket problem, and you would be 100% right. Congratulations, but so what? Given that we did a survey here and less than 10% have had head gasket problems, if you are right, that would make you especially good. Stick your chest out, feel like a man now? See, you see the glass as half empty and I see it as half full, that is where we differ. I don't revel in other's peoples problems you do and you are closed to change and information.

If you keep lurking in that crack and popping out when some poor guy has a problem, someday you will be right again. In the meantime, I am enjoying my 96 Northstar, thank you very much...

Given that we did a survey here and less than 10% have had head gasket problems.

Whoopie, I like those odds. 1 in 10 have head gasket problems. I wonder if GM could use that stat as a sales pitch. I see why you feel so good about your survey. 1 in 10, 10 in 100, 100 in 1000, 1000 in 10000, 10000 in 100000, I feel better already. Thanks Scotty.

If we listen to you 90% have problems. Personally I think its more like 5%.

What exactly is your point anyway, why do you continue to come here? This will be my last communication with you, I have better things to do.

The one in the bottle with liquid in it and pellets. I did put it in the overflow tank this was about a month ago. I just took off the tank and saw the goo caked up in the bottom of the tank. Do you think the thin line running under the intake is clogged. If so how do i unclog it. If it was clogged i would think that i would not get heat at all.

You mentioned in one of your posts that you were going to try to rod out the 3/8" line that goes under the intake manifold. Did you? On my 94 Concours the metal line that goes to the waterpump will come out if you remove the metal northstar label, it just clips in place. If you have problems getting the metal plate off just loosen the 4 bolts in the top of the manifold just enough to pull the tube out. Those 4 bolts will allow you to lift the whole manifold assembly up.

Doesn't that line allow the air in the system to escape into the surge tank? I would pull it off at the waterpump and blow air into it to make sure it was not clogged.

Archived