CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HELP! Paint job suggestions.........

Rob_M

Any ideas or suggestions on getting a halfway decent paint job for around $1200 - $1500? I really can't afford to go over that. Also, any ideas on how to search and pick someone in my area? I live in San Francisco where everything costs a fortune. I already checked out a "Miracle Auto Body", they had a midrange one for $1350 but it had no clear coat and it looked rough like I took a can of semi-flat and did it myself. You could see little specks of dirt and stuff in it. I need help. I can't stand to look at my beautiful 93 Cadillac STS with the clear coat peeling off. It deserves better!!!!!!! I think they did a crappy job with the paint on the STS's that year. I had a Deville the same year with no problems at all. Thats all I need to get rollin. I think about it every day of my life. :(

Rob,

My experience has been that you can't get a "real good" paint job for a "real cheap" price. I have been lucky in that in the last 25 years I've had the same guy who is an absolute artist. After I found him I never went anywhere else!

I have sent him a lot of business but when it comes to people without the means to pay full price he puts them on a list for when things get slow. At that point he is more concerned with keeping his men busy than making the "dealer" markup. Perhaps you can use that as an approach.

Also, if you are having it painted the same color, consider an exterior only paint job. There is a lot of labor involved in doing the door jambs and posts. Usually they remove the interior door panels and seal the inside with polyethylene to prevent overspray damage. This is costly.

However, if you have any areas of possible rust through, I'd forget it. The fixes never last that long and you will have spent a lot of money for nothing.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the replly pats37. Yeah, there is no rust. I wish I had someone like that though for the painting. That is like my friend who is a mechanic and does all the work on all my cars. He only charges me $35 an hour and I'll never go anywhere else. He is one of the best at what he does too. He's a triple master and platinum level tech. Anyways, I will definitely ask about that when I find a place that sounds good.

Archived