CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

WOT

rbrantlee

I was doing a WOT yesterday. had the shifter in second and wound it out a little too high. It shifted into third but the shifter was still in second. Is this a safety feature so you don't damage your engine or is something wrong? Anyone experience this?

The Turbo Hydramatic 400 (and others) have a mechanical flyweight governor that will shift when the output shaft reaches a predetermined RPM. I used to run a 425 HP 396 in a 68 Caprice. (I defanged it a little by installing a 390 HP 427 hydraulic cam to make it driveable with the 2.73 differential.) If I left it in L1, it would snap shift into second at about 50/55 MPH and smoke the tires! I really surprised a lot of folks when that 68 tank ( a 2 door notch back Caprice with fender skirts) left them in a cloud of rubber smoke! :P It was a real sleeper :D

Britt

Britt

You did NOT over-rev the engine. The Caddy has a rev limiter that shifted for you. If you want to go faster, select low, and the rev limiter will shift the car later than if you select drive. But the car will NEVER over rev regardless of what the shifter is doing.

Archived