CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1995 cadillac seville sts

Jason15036

If you're getting low voltage readings of 11.0 - 11.9, and then acceptable readings of 13.0 and above, you might have a short in the "L" terminal. This will cause intermittent low voltage readings that will likely get worse. Eventually, the alternator will totally fail. This situation happened with my alternator. I replaced it.

what happens with "L" terminal faliure? I have had numerous problems w/ my alternator for a few years. Voltage would drop to 12.6 and then 12.8. Now it will stay in the low 13's and never will go above 13.5. I always attributed it to a bad ground in the CD player. However I have never fully diagnosed it, since it hasn't become a major problem (yet).

A.J.

Acklac,

If the "L" terminal is bad it will throw the following code:

P110 (E110) ................................... Generator L-terminal Circuit Problem

I had the P110 code. Unless you’re getting the P110 code, I doubt you have an "L" terminal problem. Although your alternator looks like its not producing optimum volts, it’s within acceptable range. Maybe you have a corroded connection, ground (as you pointed out), or a diode may be weak or not functioning. I'm not an expert, so I don't have a definitive answer. My alternator produces 14.0 to 14.3 (the highest being 14.4) volts on a regular basis, and will dip into the low to upper 13s. It all depends on the demands, etc. When I my lights are on and heat is blasting, I've seen volts dip to 12.4. Then volts will pick up as apparently the voltage regulator notices the demands. One thing should not happen is that voltage falls below acceptable limits. If the volts dip briefly to 12.0 or 12.1, then increase as the voltage regulator senses the demands, this I would think is acceptable. However, if the volts continuously remain in the mid 12s than I would start to worry.

MAC....There isnt any corrosion around the battery connections, and Im not throwing any codes. I have noticed the power dropping as accessories are turned on..then regaining. But I've experienced voltage in the mid 12's a number of times, and it stays there. Now this may seem odd, but after alot of investigation I have found that the low voltage is usually accompanied by wet roads/rain. Maybe water is interfering with a ground? Also the only time I have ever seen the voltage above 14 is right after I start it in the morning. I have a strange feeling the problem is somehow related to my Sony X-pload that was purchased at a outlet store a few years ago. I had the alternator replaced in 01', sure hope its not going bad again :9

A.J.

Archived