CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

High Idle

remmans

I replaced the Motor in my 1995 Aurora 4.0(baby northstar)but I am having some problems (Check engine light is on) but I want to try not to take it to the dealer to dump the codes. I have a really high idle (1500 RPM) and when I hit the gas and let off the idle will go way up and take a while to come back down. I have cleaned the TPS twice, Set and swapped out the ICS, Clean the EGR, Cleared the computer by disconnecting the battery. The ICS keeps resetting itself just about everytime I turn the car off and on. Could this be getting bad info from the ECM, Prom or? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

My guess is that you would need to perform TPS/Idle learn procedure. Also try to check ISC against TPS. It should be explained in detail in the manufacture manual. I never heard of cleaning the TPS. There is nothing to be cleaned there.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

If you hit the gas and then release will if come down to normal?

Have you cleaned the throttle body? If not clean the throttle body throat and throttle plate with GM top engine cleaner and a tooth brush pay close attention to where the throttle plate contacts the throat and clean the rear of the plate. Do you know if you can pull the codes on that car? The check engine light could simply be related to the idle system and or throttle body cleaning.. WHen you clean the TB disconnect the battery for a few minutes and then reconnect let us know how it turns out...

By the way, how do you do this that you stated? >>>> have cleaned the TPS twice<<< TPS is the Throttle position switch, do you mean you cleaned the TB? Oh, and how did you set the ISC? Explain what you mean by ISC keeps resetting. There is a specific adjustment procedure for adjusting the ISC, TPS and Minimum Air, and the Cadillac procedure probably will NOT help you, you may been the procedure from the manual for your vehicle.

You really need to get the codes, you are flying in the dark...if you can not dump them like the caddys can, you can buy an Actron Pocketscan OBD code reader for about $50 at autobarn or its equivalant in your neighborhood, I have one and it works fine...

You also may need to adjust the extent of ISC motor's plunger. There is a lot in the archives about the related procedures. Check for High Idle, ISC motor etc.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Archived