CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

PLEASE VOTE

Scotty

Listen we only have 40 votes. That sample is NOT big enough and its possible that the timesert people rushed to vote as this is a sore subject, whereas the non-timesert people did not vote because its not that passionate a subject for them.

If you have a Northstar, PLEASE vote I want to see what a large sample brings! We can not ASSUME that 22.5% of the Northstars needed time-serts with ONLY 40 votes, that is poor statistical analysis and the current result could be skewed. The last I looked we have a lot more than 40 members! We got many more people to vote on TIRES! :lol: Mike

Here is the link to cast your vote!

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4942

Hi Scotty,

I was an early NO vote. But then I just replaced the engine. I got a good used engine cheaper than Timeserting one. & I have the old engine for parts, if I ever need anything.

I have been toying with the idea of going through the old engine. If I pull it down, then Timeserting is in my future.

I'm wondering if using a brass punch and a 3 pound hammer on each of the head bolts before loosening them would help. Any time I have to get a stubborn bolt out of an aluminum block, I usually loosen a half turn (or until I feel resistance increasing), Then reverse for a quarter turn, then loosen a half turn. I keep repeating this procedure until the bolt is loose enough to remove by finger pressure. This helps prevent the debris from bunching up in between the fastener and the block and galling the threads. If the fastner locks up, then I use the punch & hammer to "jar" the threads. This helps to break the fastner loose. It is not a fool proof method, but I have saved many fastners and tapped holes in this manner. It works on steel and cast iron also.

Britt

Britt

I said yes I never did it but I looked my car up on carfax and it came up that it was done at 93,000 miles!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Hi Scotty,

I was an early NO vote. But then I just replaced the engine. I got a good used engine cheaper than Timeserting one. & I have the old engine for parts, if I ever need anything.

I have been toying with the idea of going through the old engine. If I pull it down, then Timeserting is in my future.

I'm wondering if using a brass punch and a 3 pound hammer on each of the head bolts before loosening them would help. Any time I have to get a stubborn bolt out of an aluminum block, I usually loosen a half turn (or until I feel resistance increasing), Then reverse for a quarter turn, then loosen a half turn. I keep repeating this procedure until the bolt is loose enough to remove by finger pressure. This helps prevent the debris from bunching up in between the fastener and the block and galling the threads. If the fastner locks up, then I use the punch & hammer to "jar" the threads. This helps to break the fastner loose. It is not a fool proof method, but I have saved many fastners and tapped holes in this manner. It works on steel and cast iron also.

Britt

That is an interesting idea to break the bond, I wonder what Guru thinks about that idea. The problem is however, IF you don't time-sert and go through the work, the expense of time-serting is prohibitive. I do think a lot of material is damaged and removed on removing the bolts, I am not sure if they are damaged re-tightening them also.

Mike, I would vote, but how should I know if my car was timeserted? Most of us got the car with some mileage on it. Will CarFax tell me that if I run the report?

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

Mike, I would vote, but how should I know if my car was timeserted? Most of us got the car with some mileage on it. Will CarFax tell me that if I run the report?

Vote only if you can vote, don't worry about it if you have no knowledge of it. Thanks

I hate to be a NUDGE but if you have not voted yet please vote, we are trying to get a good sample of the frequency of head gasket problems.

Currently we are at 13.2% down from 22.5% two nights ago and even more.

The time-sert mechanic at my dealer suggested that the figure is 10%, but I think that figure is high also, but we will see, PLEASE VOTE

>>>>VOTE HERE<<<<

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4942

Archived