CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Car Stalled-Won't restart

Wild.Bl

93 STS - Northstar Ran fine yesterday. Started today and drove about 50 feet when engine stalled. Will not restart.

Stall triggered code P053. Cleared code and checked to see if it would reset while cranking. It does not reset.

Checked for fuel pressure at rail valve, No Fuel. Checked fuel pump fuse and relay, both are working. No sound from backseat area when cycling relay, so I don't think the pump is running.

Is there anything else I can check? Is it possible for the pump to stop without warning? I have not had any driveability problems with this vehicle. Unfortunately, I am on vacation far from home with no tools and my manuals are all at home. I also have two other 93 STS Northstars and have replaced the fuel pump in one after experiencing driveability problems and diagnosing low pressure.

Thanks for any advice you can share, Wild Bill

Yes, it is possible for fuel pumps to go without warning. I have seen them die in their sleep (ran fine, shut down, then no start). I have also seen them die a slow lingering death (with warnings). Sounds like yours may have suffered a massive fatal heart attack.

Ranger, Thanks for the reply. The slow death variety I had experienced with the other STS.

When the flat bed arrived from AAA the engine started on the first try. It is now running just like it always has. Intermittent ?? I don't know, but I hope it doesn't return at the "wrong time".

Gotta go get WILD !!! :D

Thanks for looking, Wild Bill

Ranger, Thanks for the reply. The slow death variety I had experienced with the other STS.

When the flat bed arrived from AAA the engine started on the first try. It is now running just like it always has. Intermittent ?? I don't know, but I hope it doesn't return at the "wrong time".

Gotta go get WILD !!! :D

Thanks for looking, Wild Bill

Boy, this is really wierd. My daughter just ought a '99 SLS and is trying to sell her Taurus. The other night it would not start at a pizza place. She had it towed to my house. Saturday morning the first thing I tried was to get a fuel pressure guage on it but Ford in it's infinate wisdom placed the schreader valve so close to the alternator that it is impossible to get the coupler on the fitting "Ford has a better idea" :angry: Anyway, out of desperation I decided to try to start it and voila, it lit right up and has been running since. Now I am worried.

93 STS - Northstar Ran fine yesterday. Started today and drove about 50 feet when engine stalled. Will not restart.

Stall triggered code P053. Cleared code and checked to see if it would reset while cranking. It does not reset.

Checked for fuel pressure at rail valve, No Fuel. Checked fuel pump fuse and relay, both are working. No sound from backseat area when cycling relay, so I don't think the pump is running.

Is there anything else I can check? Is it possible for the pump to stop without warning? I have not had any driveability problems with this vehicle. Unfortunately, I am on vacation far from home with no tools and my manuals are all at home. I also have two other 93 STS Northstars and have replaced the fuel pump in one after experiencing driveability problems and diagnosing low pressure.

Thanks for any advice you can share, Wild Bill

Check the fuel pressure regulator. Pull the rubber hose off of it, if it has one, and have someone turn the key on, there should not be any fuel coming out of the FPR. Replace it if there is. Do not start the engine with the intake cover off.

Archived