CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

low oil pressure

Ed Fenwick

Aloha guys,

On the way into town today, at a stoplight, the display read "low oil pressure", "stop engine"! I pulled over and saw that with the rpm up, the message went away! The oil level is fine, there are no codes, just the message. I drove home and up the mountain, the temp went up to 230f. When I got down the mountain and stoped at a light the message did not reappear.

Is this a bad oil pump? They don't go out much do they?

Thanks for any help Ed

Hi Ed,

Intermittents are tough to nail down, but if the display lights up again, play it safe and shut the engine off. It only takes a few seconds to damage major parts if the oil pressure actually drops out.

You may have an oil pressure sensor that is starting to act up. Check the connections and the condition of the wire.

Make sure you're using the recommended oil for your driving conditions.

If the oil and filter have been changed on a regular basis, you should not have any problems with the oil pump.

Good luck.

Thanks Mike,

The car has about 81K miles. I ghanged the oil about 500 miles ago to Mobile 1. Maybe it is too slick for the pump? I drove the car today with no messages. I will clean the connections to the sensor and keep praying.

Thanks again Ed

Thanks Mike,

The car has about 81K miles. I ghanged the oil about 500 miles ago to Mobile 1. Maybe it is too slick for the pump? I drove the car today with no messages. I will clean the connections to the sensor and keep praying.

Thanks again Ed

81K is nothing. If I were you I would try a non-synthetic 10W30 and see what happens. Are you using 10W30 or 5W30?

Archived