CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Why do I like Cadillac

Scotty

I love computer's, I have built a few hundred since 1990, and am currently using a very high performance machine. In addition, given that my Dad was a B-17 mechanic and did all of his own auto repairs, I have been involved with auto mechanics since I could stand on a milk crate! In addition, I was a mechanic at Sun Ship Building and Dry Dock the yard that built the Howard Hughes Glomar Explorer when I was in high school. Actually Howard Hughes was a the "cover", it was built by the CIA to pull up a Russian sub two miles down in the Pacific, it was also in the movie, The Abyss.

So when you put mechanics and computers together like in the Cadillac, now that REALLY floats my boat! I was just reading the Cadillac History and read this about the 1996 Deville and love it,

The 1996 Sedan DeVille used the 275-horsepower version of the 4.6-liter engine mated to the 4T80-E electronically controlled four-speed automatic transmission with viscous converter clutch. This combination replaced the formerly standard 4.9-liter V-8 and 4T60-E four-speed transmission. Sedan DeVille's new final drive ratio was 3.11:1.

The Concours sedan again featured the 300-horsepower version of the Northstar engine also coupled to the 4T80-E transmission. Its final drive ratio was revised from 3.11:1 to 3.71:1 for improved acceleration and passing performance.

A more powerful Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with micro-processors monitored and directed DeVille engine/transmission operations.

Clock speed of the PCM microprocessor was increased from 2.1 megahertz to 3.4 megahertz, which improved processing time 63 percent.

Memory size was increased from 64 kilobytes to 96 kilobytes per microprocessor, allowing the PCM to provide more software functionality.

For improved throttle response and reduced exhaust emissions, a mass air flow sensor was added.

This sensor continually measured the volume of air entering the engine and supplied that information to the PCM.

In addition, the PCM was moved from the passenger compartment to the air cleaner housing.

This move enhanced engine harness reliability by reducing wiring lengths and minimized the number of wires passed through the front of the dash.

OMG, does anyone else besides me get aroused reading that? :wub: NOW I understand why the PCM was moved to the air cleaner for cooling reasons as the faster processors ran hotter. Pretty interesting

Sure, computers are neat. But I have a paranoia that a

computer module is gonna burn out on my Seville or one

of the hundred or so sensors is gonna go sour. I feel much

more comfortable working on my '67 Camaro. Half a dozen

moving parts, a carburetor and ignition.

Yes, me too. I miss working on my 1960 Sedan de Ville, and 1970 Coupe de Ville. No computers, no extra sensors, plain mechanics. I had 1970 Coupe de Ville for 5 years, (1960 Sedan de Ville for a year) and never had any major issues. With 375 HP the car drove like a dream. I sold it because it needed a lot of body work done, and at that time I did not have an extra cash to fix it. Since the day I sold it, I miss that car. Different story with Mazda RX7. I remember when one sensor went bad, and I got the estimate from the Mazda service!?! that I had to pay $3,500 because, they thought, that I had blown the engine. I did not trusted them so I went to another mechanic, and he confirmed that the engine is fine. To make the long story short, he fixed it, and the sensor was $75 plus the 3 hours labor . After that I said to myself, no more computers in a car, and I bought 1970 Caddy Coupe de Ville. Now with my STS, I am a little afraid some time, that any of the sensors will go bad, and I'll end up sitting on a highway waiting for help. That's why I start learning more about this car. I guess, the cars with many computers in them (like the ones we have), are made to last up to 10 years, where all the corosion, and bad contacts start to get into the picture, and then it is often very hard to diagnose the problem. No mechanic still can't figure out why my signal lighs are blinking very fast when I turn on the lights, and sometimes with no reason they work OK.

Goran

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

Here is my list of Cadillacs and one Packard that I consider on the level of a Cadillac

1954 Packard Carabean Conv.

1955 Fleetwood

1959 Coupe deville

1962 Calais Sedan

1964 Coupe

1965 Sedan deville

1966 Coupe Conv.

1968 Coupe Conv.

1974 Eldo Conv.

1991 Seville

1996 Deville

The old cars while easy to work on put out tremendous emissions, used leaded gas, handled like hell, and at about 100,000 miles they went to the junk yard. The 91 and 96 I have had helped me to diagnose their problems. Are they more complicated, you bet, do they last longer, yep, do they run cleaner, yep, are they meant for everyone, nope. They are complicated and the majority of people should not own an aging caddy. Things will and are going to go wrong as these cars age especially sensors. These cars require that you know a little about what is going on, which is the reason this board exists. Quite frankly all cars these days come with sensors or computers. I will never own any other car. With a little knowledge its possible to own one of these cars and to be quite happy.

Scotty, which one had the best ride, and which one you liked the most?

My favorite old school car for ride and power was the 68 conv coupe, 472 cu in rocket, chocolate brown with light brown top.. I had it at college. My least favorite was the 74 eldorado, it was loose in so many ways, lol... and the gas gauge moved while you watched it, the torsion bar suspension was hard. I loved my 91 Seville, and this 96 is growing on me the more I work on it. This weekend is the LF ball joint, bushings and front brakes.. Mike

In 1964 we went across country in the 55 with its dual ac system

As you can see I loved convertibles, the draw back however was that they were loud, cold, hard to secure and the stereo was drowned out by the noise.

Goran to fix your signal problem snip off your rear sockets and replace them with new GM replacement sockets. If you need the part number let me know.

Goran to fix your signal problem snip off your rear sockets and replace them with new GM replacement sockets. If you need the part number let me know.

its either that or the turn signal switch, if I move my switch a certain way (like flash to pass) my signal flashes fast...

its either that or the turn signal switch, if I move my switch a certain way (like flash to pass) my signal flashes fast...

Mine does that also if I just BARELY move the signal stalk enough to kind of "half engage" the signals. They'll flash real fast. The cornering bulb will also blink quickly. It's like its in a state of hysterisis.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I also like computers I have built a few. The one I'm on now I imagine is mid range but it's fast enough for me Asus A8v amd 3500+ slight overclock, 1 gig ddr3200 ,Gforce video card quadro 256 mb fibre channel hd's seagate 15k rpm this sucker does what I need it to do About 2 months old and gets better as I find the sweet spot & do some tweaks to the system..

Getting back to cars I imagine it does not take much to run the engine componets..

Jim

I also like computers I have built a few. The one I'm on now I imagine is mid range but it's fast enough for me Asus A8v amd 3500+ slight overclock, 1 gig ddr3200 ,Gforce video card quadro 256 mb fibre channel hd's seagate 15k rpm this sucker does what I need it to do About 2 months old and gets better as I find the sweet spot & do some tweaks to the system..

Getting back to cars I imagine it does not take much to run the engine componets..

Jim

I am a big ASUS fan, im using the P4T533 with a P4 3.06 HT also with Seagate X15 SCSI drives, and 512 mb of PC1066 rdram...

I just like that these cars are logical, I want to improve my diagnostic abilities more and more...

I remember my first computer that I build from the scratch in 1998. I bought the motherboard, and Cyrix 686 CPU for $230 (it was the only 686 at that time, Intel had Pentium MMX if I remember correctly), add 32MB RAM, and if I recall the HD was 10GB. Rewired everything and pushed the power button. Nothing. Checked all cables again, but nothing appeared on a screen. Finally, I realized that my motherboard needed both memory slots to be populated, so I add another 32 memory module, and whola. There is such a great feeling once you accomplished something on your own. I was so proud. Original VGA card from the motherboard was weak, so I bought another one add it to one of the slots, and I had a pretty good system at that time. Most of the PC's with the similar configuration was around $1,400 and I assembled mine for around $600. Now I am on a Northstar mission. Got the manual, and with all the help from this board, I could probably learn enough to open my own mechanic store in a near future.

1960 Sedan De Ville (sold)

1970 Coupe De Ville (sold)

1987 Mazda RX-7 (sold)

Regarding Caddys and complexity,

I been working in chemical plants since 1970 and the instrumentation continues to multiply. I don't even notice anymore that several thousand sensors, valves and processors and quite a bit of my own programming and networking - all have to be right 24 x 7 x 365 or look out ... :blink:

This Caddy and its computers are slick stuff no doubt. But I certainly don't worry about it too much and for what ever reasons - I have had very little significant problems (and don't pamper it by any means). :)

Regarding personal computers,

I've been with 'em since about 1982 or so. I rebuild 'em to give away and to raise funds for our Lions Club. I have three around me in various states and 16 systems stacked up on one wall in the garage - ready to go. I have another 60 or so in a storage shed, just waiting to "born again". :rolleyes:

How do they mix?

I filled the Caddy up with 8-systems at once when a business donated them to the Lions Club. What a mess if had wrecked! There would have been no way to tell what was car, computer or corpse. :P

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived