CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

2 codes. for my 1997 Deville

rockfangd

Hi all. 

My 1997 Deville has just been striking my last nerve lately, probably just me but it just  cant go long enough without issues.

I have 2 codes

The traction control telltale has come on twice randomly within the last month or so. Code is C1277. I dont have a clue on this one. Maybe a harness issue?

And while I was retrieving that code I found there is a PCM P1271 current. No Engine light on though. no idea on this code either. P 0603 still shows in history also. 

And The worst thing is this shake. It shakes bad around 60+ Feels like a bad vibration. Worst under my feet. It makes my mirrors jiggle. That problem irritates me more than anything. I am just tired of shakes. Makes it feel like crap. I am wondering if it could be one or both of the vertical control arm bushings.  I will have to find time to check them. Maybe the bushings are torn. Aside from that I am stumped on it. Too many possibilities.

Any ideas are much appreciated. Thanks for reading

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

The one connector that I had trouble with on my 2008 Deville was the EBCTM (?) connector. This one is under the hood, on the driver's side back near the firewall. Some of the wires were too short and under certain body stresses, would pull the pins loose inside the connector. Someone else on this board had difficulty with that connector as well, but as I recall it was caused by rust not holding the connector together correctly. Since my car was a 2008, I couldn't read the codes, but I would get an intermittent traction control light. It was repaired under warranty.

As far as the shake goes, and I know that I've beat this horse to death over the years....are you sure your tires are round? Have you had them road force balanced to under 10 pounds of force. Any high speed shake can usually be attributed to a rotating component. The road force shake usually occurs between 65 and 72 mph.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

It could be the tires. It starts about 35mph and gets worse the faster  I go. The steering wheel vibrates also.  I am sure our wonderful roads dont help.

Most of my travels are highway so I feel it most all the time. 

GM FAN FOREVER

You might have done this already, but jack up the front, and hold at 9 and 3 oclock and check for play, then hold at 12 and 6, and check for play.   Did you ever consider mounting a camera to monitor the wheel and checking the video for wheel vibrations. Not sure why it's not done more for diy and diagnosing cars.

I should. I had the alignment done not long ago. No issues then, but anything is possible with thee terential downpours we have been randomly getting

GM FAN FOREVER

P1271    Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation
P1277    Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1 Circuit Low Voltage
P0603    Control Module Long Term Memory Reset

The P0603 just means that the battery was disconnected sometime in the last few months.  The other two tell a different tale, that there is a problem with the accelerator pedal position sensor.  That's what is disabling your TC.  The P1277 may mean that you do have a harness or connector problem.  This is a critical item and you need to get it fixed pronto.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

PCM 1271 throws me off because it makes me think of drive by wire, Closest thing would be the TPS.

So you are saying the abs code 1277 is related to the other code?

I have never seen either code before.

It would be a issue with the harness to the EBTCM? I am sorry if I have too many questions. 

GM FAN FOREVER

Rock, check that code number again, I do not think you have drive by wire, and that code relates to it, see this link.  We have a throttle position sensor (TPS), not a pedal, if this is for your 97

http://www.autocodes.com/p1271_cadillac.html

With a traction control light this makes sense

DTC C1277 Requested Torque Signal Circuit Malfunction

Here are the obd2 drive by wire codes in a list

• DTC P1270 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor A/D Converter Error
  • DTC P1271 Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation
  • DTC P1272 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 2
  • DTC P1273 "Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1
  • DTC P1274 Injectors Wired Incorrectly
  • DTC P1275 Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 1 Circuit
  • DTC P1276 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1 Circuit Performance
  • DTC P1277 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1 Circuit Low Voltage
  • DTC P1278 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 1 Circuit High Voltage
  • DTC P1280 Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor 2 Circuit
  • DTC P1281 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 2 Circuit Performance
  • DTC P1282 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 2 Circuit Low Voltage
  • DTC P1283 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 2 Circuit High Voltage
  • DTC P1285 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 3 Circuit
  • DTC P1286 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 3 Circuit Performance
  • DTC P1287 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 3 Circuit Low Voltage
  • DTC P1288 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor 3 Circuit High Voltage

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I should. I had the alignment done not long ago. No issues then, but anything is possible with thee terential downpours we have been randomly getting

Winterset has come up with a unique diagnostic tool for this problem. I wouldn't have thought of that. It does remind me of a problem I had in a Ford truck many years ago. I was driving along with a friend in a different vehicle to pick up some equipment at an oil refinery. Any speed above about 65 and my truck would shake like crazy. Stopped along the way and had the tires spin balanced, everything checked out fine. Took off again and the same thing happened! Had him drive along side of me until he could see the culprit tire. Left front had a separated belt inside, and would only start to come apart at high speed. Got off at the next exit and had the tire replaced, smooth sailing after that!

Sounds like yours are just not round at all. Had that happen once too... started about 25 and got worse from there..Dunlops. 1994

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Probably is. I have not been driving the car for now. Needed a break from it. I think I will have to try it when I get some time though

GM FAN FOREVER

Archived