CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Over Heating

Help,

On my way to work just before i hit the highway i looked at the temperature and it was at 230 and climbing. I turned around came home. I got the overheating message and shut the car off. All hoses were hot. restarted the car, and the temperature started climbing again. I turned on the heat to see if it would blow hot, all i got was cool air. I let it cool changed the thermostat filled the tank let it run. Temperature went up to 212. Started driving temperature started climbing again. All hoses were hot, electric fans came on. still blowing cool air. Any suggestions!!!!!

Check the water pump belt tensioner. How's the coolant level? Did you do any work on the engine recently?

Probably your air mix door is stuck close, and you get only cold air. Try to run the temp settting up and down several times to release the door.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Hi,

The collant level in the tank is full.

The coolant level should be checked in the radiator since the hose to the surge tank may be plugged and you get wrong data.

Hi,

The collant level in the tank is full.

The coolant level should be checked in the radiator since the hose to the surge tank may be plugged and you get wrong data.

The only place to check the coolant level is the surge tank. The Northstar equipped Cadillacs have a pressure cap on the surge tank. There is not a cap on the radiator.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The only place to check the coolant level is the surge tank. The Northstar equipped Cadillacs have a pressure cap on the surge tank. There is not a cap on the radiator

Thanks KHE, how could I forget that! :huh:

The coolant is a 50/50 mix There is no coolant on the ground or any mixture of oil. I checked the actuator door with the temperature buttons. Everything seems to work fine. The water pump belt was installed over the summer and still looks good. I did tug on it a bit, looking at the tensioner, I think the tensioner mover a little to easy. I going to get a new one and install it today and will see what happens. If that works, next i have to find out why its blowing cold air. Everything worked perfectly yesterday.

Archived