CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Another Timeserting Question

Since timeserts seem to be topic of the weekend, my 1995 Eldorado has 135,000 miles I have zero records on the car. Is there anyway to tell if they have been done or just wait for a problem to arise? I'm going to be putting a transmission into the car within a couple months (soon as the money comes available) and if I could pull the motor and tranny at the same time I would rather do that if I would need a timesert job. I would hate to pull the tranny from the bottom just to pull the motor from the top a couple months later for a timesert :o .

Spence

I don't think there is any way to tell if it has been Timeserted without pulling the heads.

I believe I have heard of one or two who have pulled the engine from the top but it was very very tight as I recall. Not sure if the trans came out with it. I suspect not.

As far as timeserts go they are a thread repair to the head bolt threads in the block. There is no reason to consider timeserting until you are certain you have a head gasket that leaks coolant into the combustion chamber. Don't borrow trouble here. My 93 ETC has 176xxx miles and it has never been timeserted and has no reason to be. If you dont currently have a head gasket problem then change your coolant per the fleet/taxi schedule in the owners manual and enjoy the drive. The headbolt timesert thing is way overblown. Poor cooling maintainance leads to headgasket corrosion which leads to gasket failure. Bolts may gall threads when removed. If threads are damaged then they must be repaired. The reason this gets the huge press is the cost. If it ain't broke then don't fix it. Same goes for everything else on the car. If the fluid is good and you see/feel no problems and you don't get a code then it is OK.

HTH

John

The headbolt timesert thing is way overblown. Poor cooling maintainance leads to headgasket corrosion which leads to gasket failure. Bolts may gall threads when removed. If threads are damaged then they must be repaired. The reason this gets the huge press is the cost.

John, thanks for posting that. As stated, drive your car like you stole it. When I first got mine at around 80k miles, I was tip-toeing around, "afraid" of blowing a head gasket. That thought quickly escaped my mind and now I'm at 141k miles, driven moderately (mostly lazy, with many WOT blasts mixed in), and no problems yet. 99.5% of all Northstars will never have a problem here. If your car is 1996 or newer, with Dexcool, the problem is even less likely.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I believe I have heard of one or two who have pulled the engine from the top but it was very very tight as I recall. Not sure if the trans came out with it. I suspect not.

Yes, the engine and transmission can be pulled from the top.

The fit is close, but as long as you take the time to bump the engine so it clears the AC dryer, brake master cylinder and the ride height compressor as you lift the engine, it's not a big deal. Slow and careful is the rule.

In my view, the work to pull the engine without the transmission is about the same amount of work as pulling it with the transmission.

As far as timeserts go they are a thread repair to the head bolt threads in the block. There is no reason to consider timeserting until you are certain you have a head gasket that leaks coolant into the combustion chamber.

There is no reason for (or advantage to) Timserting your Northstar unless you have to take the heads off. If you do have to take the heads off, it is very prudent to do the Timeserts while it is apart.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Archived