CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Problem with trouble codes! help please!

95STSman

hey guys, I didn't even know i could run trouble code tests till tonight. I went out (i have a 95 sts) pressed the off and warm buttons. The trouble codes started to show. There were a bunch in the history, they kept flashing so i shut the car off so i could run into the house to grab a pen to write them down. I came back out, stuck the key in, and the codes started to show. then there was this buzzing noise and the speedo needle kept going back and fourth, now my car is dead. I would try and jump start it but my waterpump is currently all pulled apart till hopefully tomorrow. some of the codes i did manage to get were po39, P110,P137, I032, I052, A015. Those were some in the history. What does that mean? Also does history mean now the car is fine but those were past problems? Is that a comman problem with the lights flashing and needle moving? did i damage anything by shutting it off the first time?If anyone can answer some or all of these questions it would be great....Thanks for the help in advance. Nick

Relax, you didn't hurt anything. History codes are just that, history. Once a fault has been detected and a code set, it will stay current for 3 ignition cycles. If durring those 3 ignition cycles a fault is not detected, the code goes into history and remains there for 50 ignition cycles. After 50 ignition cycles with no faults detcted it will be cleared. I'd clear the codes and see if any return. Then worry about those.

Can't explain the buzzing and junmping needle. Try it again and see what happens. Maybe just a fluke.

hey, i did try again, but i think my battery died or something because it started to work and then it started to flicker and the power antenna was going really slow. I think im going to clear them all out, the first time i saw the codes there was one that was current...thanks for the help...ill have to see what happens when i get the waterpump fixed...Nick

hey, i did try again, but i think my battery died or something because it started to work and then it started to flicker and the power antenna was going really slow. I think im going to clear them all out, the first time i saw the codes there was one that was current...thanks for the help...ill have to see what happens when i get the waterpump fixed...Nick

A HA. Low battery power. That explains it. A weak battert, bad ground or corroded cable will intoduce all sorts of gremlins into the electrical system. Try it again when you get the battery charged. BTW, If you pull battery power you will clear the codes.

i think that will be the easiest way, ill disconnect the battery and then get the waterpump fixed, charge it up and give it another shot...I just bought this thing, drove it 20 miles with the waterpump smoking, im just hoping its as good of a deal as i thought. Im anxious to just get it on the road and drive it...thanks for your help, ill keep you posted tomorrow when i get some work done on it...Nick

I hope you have a waterpump tool to replace the waterpump. Clockwise "off" counter clockwise "on". Save yourself some trouble and get one if you don't have it.

ok guys, now im having another problem....I go out today, and i said the battery was dying last night, but i go to my car today and i hear a whinning noise, like when you put the key in the ignition. I could hear it before i even opened the door, i couldn't shut it off till i put the key in the ignition, when i took it out it kept doing it. I just unhooked the battery fotr now till i deal with the waterpump issue. I also have another question. When i was calling a local mechanic to borrow a waterpump socket tool, he told me that it's very comman for the head bolt to have gotten stripped out and now the antifreeze is leaking from there, i remember when i pulled the waterpump apart there was antifreeze on the waterpump cover...what are the chances of this really being the problem? If this is the problem what are my best options on fixing it...thanks Nick

Hard to say without seeing it.... but, I doubt a head gasket would get coolant on the pump cover. It's probably the cover gasket. Make sure you put a new one on as they have been redesigned.

Archived