CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New model rumors

Cadillac and its dealers have a painfully long wait as a slew of new models grind their way through GM development. Nothing is on the horizon until mid-2018, when a new compact crossover should arrive, the first of at least three new nameplates.

read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20160718/OEM04/307189997/cadillac-plays-waiting-game

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I can definitely say that some of the stuff the article mentioned will probably happen.  I say this with "tongue in cheek" (as the article was a shot-gun blast, meaning that some of the stuff will have to be on the horizon for Cadillac), and knowing that, there was a lot of conjecture as well.  

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

I agree.   I like to listen to all the rumors and find common threads.  We know a larger and smaller Crossover are coming.  I am not clear if the smaller will be a 3, 2, or 1 and if the larger will be a 6, 7, 8, or 9.  I think it depends on what they are competing against.  Ewe Ellinghaus seems to hint that the X1 is the target.  The BMW X1 starts at $32, and the X3 starts at $38; the XT5 I suppose competes with the BMW X5.   Coming out with a smaller crossover that costs the same as the XT5 would seem daft, so I suppose the XT1/2 will cost $30ish?

THe X1 and X3 look very very similar unless side by side.  The X1 is shorter vertically as well as length, but they share similar interior and powertrains. The x1 has a wheelbase of 105" and the X3 110.6".  Cadillac is probably building the XT1/2 on the Buick Encore platform, which is a 100 6" wheelbase.  I am unclear if that platform can stretch or not.   Buick prices the Encore from $23 so that leaeves room for a $30K Cadillac version?

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Bruce, I think you are right (about the Encore, as base); it has been fairly well received, and DOES leave Cadillac quite a bit of wiggle room (on price).  One thing Cadillac will need to do though is to move the needle and make it a class segment leader.  The days of 'good enough' are just not good enough anymore.  The Encore is probably ready for a major refresh, and by splitting costs (with development) with Cadillac would make it easier to spend what needs to be spent to make that happen.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

Archived