CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Has your Northstar been Timeserted?

JasonA

Has your Northstar been Timeserted? Please post mileage and answer.  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Has your Northstar been Timeserted? Please post mileage and answer.

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

The engine block of make of aluminum. Anytime the heads are removed it is necessary to drill out the head bolt threads and insert a time-sert. See a time-sert here >> http://www.timesert.com/ Using a time-sert is the correct way to re-install the head bolts. It is also necessary to use NEW head bolts as they are coated and from what I understand are designed to stretch, old bolts have been stretched already and can not be used again. Note also that there is a specific method to tightening the head bolts, its not as easy as it was years ago when you simply followed a pattern and gradually tighten down.

When the heads are removed, some material is removed from the threads weakening them. The weakened threads can lead to the head bolt pulling out the weakened threads, causing the head gasket to leak.

Anytime the heads are removed time-serts must be used don't let anyone tell you any different.

Dexcool is good for 5 years or 100K miles, the green is good for 2 years (not sure how many miles maybe 24,000 miles), after that it loses it ability to prevent corrosion and the headgaskets can corrode and allow fluids and combustion gases to inter-mix... The coolant can also damage the head bolt threads weakening them.. So change your coolant religiously

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently, there are 2,113 members on this board and only 98 voted.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I had my engine looked at and it was leaking antifreeze into motor or thats what we finally figured after the overheating problem couldn"t be solved. I found it was cheaper to go to Jasper and get a whole new engine with timeserts already installed. Engine cost $2800 and another $1200 to have it installed plus had new starter put in as this is a hassle. Then that engine leaked very small amount of oil and company removed engine for free and installed another new Northstar has run fine ever since.

Shane

107,000 miles, 97 deville . bought at 67,000. i immediately went to flush and refill as per this forums instructions. had complete records for dealership that this car was maintained properly. she's blowing compression into cooling system. yep, it's head gasket time and that means timesert time. not happy about this. 4 grand for a single point fix.

also, about these stastics: dealerships have replaced alot of these engines under warrenty. lots of senior citizens have these caddys and they have no idea of this forum or the repairs. i maintain that this failure rate is too high, and it's repair is way too expensive.

also, about these stastics: dealerships have replaced alot of these engines under warrenty. lots of senior citizens have these caddys and they have no idea of this forum or the repairs. i maintain that this failure rate is too high, and it's repair is way too expensive.

Similar to what Pat said in another thread, so many engines have been replaced that don't need to be. A head gasket repair is a SIMPLE SIMPLE repair. True, it's labor-intensive. The dealer wants to sell you up on whatever they can. If they can make a good profit on an $8000 engine, they'll try. If you insist that they perform the proper head gasket repair (with Timeserts), the engine will be better than new. I'm surprised to hear your $4000 quote. I've always heard a number in the $2000 range, for dealer labor.

You can do it yourself for about 15% of your quoted price, for the parts and tools.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Jason while you or I could do that job, its not really a DIY job lets face it, with my mechanical experience I would be hard pressed to do this job myself and I am always in AWE of those who do! But I agree with you, he should have it repaired, Mike

While I have heard that the time-sert job can be done with the engine in place, its easier with the carriage out, I would be thrilled to simply drop the carriage... :lol:

Hey is it just me or does anyone else notice a "newcomer" that sounds an awful lot like James. Even same writing style.....and car. ;)

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

also, about these stastics:  dealerships have replaced alot of these engines under warrenty.  lots of senior citizens have these caddys and they have no idea of this forum or the repairs.  i maintain that this failure rate is too high, and it's repair is way too expensive.

Similar to what Pat said in another thread, so many engines have been replaced that don't need to be. A head gasket repair is a SIMPLE SIMPLE repair. True, it's labor-intensive. The dealer wants to sell you up on whatever they can. If they can make a good profit on an $8000 engine, they'll try. If you insist that they perform the proper head gasket repair (with Timeserts), the engine will be better than new. I'm surprised to hear your $4000 quote. I've always heard a number in the $2000 range, for dealer labor.

You can do it yourself for about 15% of your quoted price, for the parts and tools.

Similar to what Pat said in another thread, so many engines have been replaced that don't need to be. A head gasket repair is a SIMPLE SIMPLE repair. True, it's labor-intensive. The dealer wants to sell you up on whatever they can. If they can make a good profit on an $8000 engine, they'll try. If you insist that they perform the proper head gasket repair (with Timeserts), the engine will be better than new

better than new?? 4 k just gives me my old 107,000 mile engine back. if timeserts make it better than new, then gm should have built them with timeserts. i truly respect bobski and love to read his posts. the man is a marvel of information, but he just won't admit that the headgaskets are the weaklink in this wonderful engine. has gm corrected this yet?

btw, i'm just me, not some other poster.

97 delegance. best performance, best gas milage, best leg room (6ft6) and sitting in the back yard while i figure out just what to do.

bill

Who would that be kg?

Isn't it obvious or do you need to be hit over the head with a rubber mallet? :lol:

Mr. Doomandgloom is back.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Not all those members go on here still! I think most of the regulars have voted! There should be more than that though! common people LOL! :lol:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I have a question about this too...

This timesert thing... Is this common to all Aluminium Block engines? Or just Northstars (and variants)

I watch (in wonder and amazment) as friends of mind swap the heads on their LS1s like they are going out of style and when I ask them if they have had their block's timeserted... they tilt their heads and say "uhh what’s a timesert?"

Are LS1 headbolts longer? Or is something else at play here?

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

OynxSTS,

This string has gotten so undeservingly long that the relevant points seem to have been lost. It was all explained earlier but certain people want to keep this string going. By keeping the string "new" it gives the perception (to some) that it must be a wide spead problem or the very least something to be concerned over. Both are what the person(s) would like you to believe and both points are incorrect, generally speaking. Statisticly speaking this discussion should be near the bottom of the heap. I believe that every board or site has people, they would like you to think of them as members but they're commonly known as trolls, that enjoy and take pleasure at being disruptive and dealing out misinformation. We are obviously not immune to this either.

To answer your question....bbobynski explained all this quite a few pages back.

"Burns" rubber

Not all those members go on here still! I think most of the regulars have voted! There should be more than that though! common people LOL! :lol:

Allow me to add to this:

2114 members, 1181 members who have posted at least once to this forum, 100 members who have voted in this poll.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Allow me to add to this:

2114 members, 1181 members who have posted at least once to this forum, 100 members who have voted in this poll.

Hmm only 8.46% of our members have posted, not a good showing, maybe we have to review the TOS and clean house! :lol:

Uhhhhh, Maybe there are posting members who don't own Northstars? How many Northstar owner's do we have that responded is a better question, :lol: In addition, how many non-Northstar owner's voted.. :unsure: ..hmmm I see hanging chads, oh boy...time for an audit Ill bet we only have 200 regular members.

And don't forget to deduct one YES vote since James Smith voted twice! :lol::lol:

I'm sorry, I still don't understand exactly what it means? LOL! How do you know that you need one?

You know you need it when the heads are removed. Timeserting is done to repair damaged threads in an aluminum block. Frequently caused by removing the bolts. So it is recommended to "Timesert" all 20 bolt holes as a precaution once they are removed.

Edited by Ranger

Hi everyone, GREAT forum you guys got here. My question is, I have to get my engine pulled since the oil pan is leaking quite bad and was wondering if I should get my headgaskets done as preventive maintenance since I'm already paying all this money in labor just to get the engine pulled. The mechanic has time-serted 5 Northstars and would do it for only about $1100 more. My car has 67K and is a 1994 Eldorado and does NOT have blown headgaskets. So if I were to do it, could that almost guarantee me making it up to 200K without many worries if I kept my coolant fresh plus the sealant tabs? or will this repair potentially cause a problem where there isnt one yet?

Allow me to add to this:

Hmm only 8.46% of our members have posted, not a good showing, maybe we have to review the TOS and clean house! :lol:

Uhhhhh, Maybe there are posting members who don't own Northstars? How many Northstar owner's do we have that responded is a better question, :lol: In addition, how many non-Northstar owner's voted.. :unsure: ..hmmm I see hanging chads, oh boy...time for an audit Ill bet we only have 200 regular members.

And don't forget to deduct one YES vote since James Smith voted twice! :lol::lol:

Well, I did not vote because I have the 4.9L engine and that of course, would be cheating. But this is why I had made mention that the poll should have been updated to include the 4.9L engine.

I'm sorry, I still don't understand exactly what it means? LOL! How do you know that you need one?

If you read my post within this thread from 2/25/2005, I have explained what time-serting is, Mike

Hi everyone, GREAT forum you guys got here. My question is, I have to get my engine pulled since the oil pan is leaking quite bad and was wondering if I should get my headgaskets done as preventive maintenance since I'm already paying all this money in labor just to get the engine pulled. The mechanic has time-serted 5 Northstars and would do it for only about $1100 more. My car has 67K and is a 1994 Eldorado and does NOT have blown headgaskets. So if I were to do it, could that almost guarantee me making it up to 200K without many worries if I kept my coolant fresh plus the sealant tabs? or will this repair potentially cause a problem where there isnt one yet?

There are no guarantees. It's a gamble. You could go 200K without it or have a problem the week after it is installed. If you maintain the cooling system, the odds are probably in your favor. Remember, Timeserting is a thread repair, not a head gasket repair. It is recommended when the heads are pulled as the threads may not be as strong after removal. I would hesitate to give advice one way or the other on this one. Not sure what I would do either.

• 2 months later...

I timeserted mine last year in September. Already put on about 18000 on it. At 135K no problem since then. Using it every day and for both in-city and long drives. Wonderful piece of equipment.

Ali

I timeserted mine last year in September. Already put on about 18000 on it. At 135K no problem since then. Using it every day and for both in-city and long drives. Wonderful piece of equipment.

Ali

Terrific job you did also! I was under my 96 the other day and thought about you, I saw a 6 to 8 inch brace and remembered that when you got done with that job you posted a picture asking what it was and where it went! I could see why you didn't remember where it went it was located in an odd location. :lol: