CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Has your Northstar been Timeserted?

JasonA

Has your Northstar been Timeserted? Please post mileage and answer.  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Has your Northstar been Timeserted? Please post mileage and answer.

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did my blue 93' STS at about 125,000. It is used daily for commute and pleasure trips, still holding fine at 168,000.

I also did my white 93' STS at 82,000, low use vechicle. At 98,000 still holding fine.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Nope, no time-serts or any other engine work for that matter.

172,000-miles and doing fine. WOT's almost every time its back on line.

Changed the coolant to Prestone 50/50 premix (mix with any color anti-freeze) and added the almighty "ginger root cookies" (Bars leak sealant pellets).

It hasn't owed me a thing for years.

When and how it finally does let go - it'll be long live the next Caddy :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I think it will be obvious that most people will not have had their N* timeserted. It can be an expensive job and I'm sure a lot of cars would just end up in the junk yard or end up with a replacement engine.

I can't vote in this poll because I have the 4.9 engine. How about an option for the 4.9 engine in this poll? ;) (just kidding)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I think it will be obvious that most people will not have had their N* timeserted. It can be an expensive job and I'm sure a lot of cars would just end up in the junk yard or end up with a replacement engine.

Well that's KIND of what I meant, but not really what I said. Maybe I should have titled the thread, "have you had thread problems on your Northstar"? I bet the vast majority, pre-Dexcool or not, have had no problems with their engines.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

My northstar was time serted at 94 000 miles so it said on carfax.com! I'm hopeing that information is accurate as it usually is! :D

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

1997 Deville Timerserted at 130K miles. Not back on the road yet, but the insert kit worked very well.

I think the head gasket was failing some time ago. Had a missing cylinder in the morning that would clear after a minute or so of idling. I think the deathblow on the gasket was when the water pump belt popped.

Hoping to squeeze at least 20K out of it before I let it go. :lol:

How much does it cost to get a northstar time serted?

$3000-$4000 I believe, unless you do it yourself.

Wow I sure am glad the person that owned this car before me did it!!!!!!! :(

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Interesting Poll Jadcock,

and while completely unscientific the results are a little surprising.

Based on your poll about 1/3 of us can expect to undergo this procedure :huh::lol::lol:

But seriously… I think another interesting poll would be

1) If your Northstar has been timeserted what year is/was it

-or-

2) How many miles were on your Northstar when it was timeserted

The reason I would ask #1 is it seems to me that when ever I see a post about timeserts lately it’s been a ’97 model. Perhaps a handful of bad head gaskets were used that year, or perhaps its just a matter of economics, maybe '97s are new enought to have enough value to justify the effort and cost.

Odd...

Edited by OynxSTS

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

Interesting Poll Jadcock,

and while completely unscientific the results are a little surprising.

Based on your poll about 1/3 of us can expect to undergo this procedure :huh::lol::lol:

Yeah, like I said, the number here in particular will probably be abnormally high, because this is by nature a DIYer type place to be. Most of the people (read: millions) who never have problems won't come to a place like this. I can't wait to see how the results end up a few weeks from now after everyone has had a chance to input.

Did mine(94 Eldo/275) at 131k but not before several LimpHome Mode episodes...no harm done; cost about 3200 plus a 4 week car rental (long story) of 600. Good news is my mechanic knocked the car rental off his bill cuz they'd taken so long. Been running fine since (about 5k miles) except I had to do the trans solenoids for about 400...it's been a project car in many ways, but it sure is fun to drive

~ 70 k 97 STS timeserted both heads. done under warranty, I would definitely buy another car from them because of this.

Yeah, like I said, the number here in particular will probably be abnormally high, because this is by nature a DIYer type place to be. Most of the people (read: millions) who never have problems won't come to a place like this. I can't wait to see how the results end up a few weeks from now after everyone has had a chance to input.

Jason,

Your assumption is correct ONLY if another assumption is accurate, which is ONLY people who never had problems won't come to a place like this. And I do not think this second assumption is accurate at all. Not ONLY the people who do not have problems won't come to this site but also millions who do have problems do not show up here. The bottom line is that we all regardless of our skills drive the same vehicles. If something happens to our vehicles it do happen to others as well and I am afraid the results of the poll you have initiated is quite accurate and representative (unfortunately).

One may want to drive a bulletproof (relatively) Honda or such a great car as N* equipped Cadillac but expect POSSIBLE costly problems with head gaskets down the road. Properly maintained cooling system was mentioned many times. Sure the better you maintain it the less is probability something will go bad, but looks like the problem may show up even in properly maintained vehicles.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Adallak, notice I said MOST people who never have problems won't come to a site like this. Certainly, there are people like you and me who still show up here, even though our cars are 100%. :)

I stand by my assessment (and posts in the archives agree) that a good percentage of folks who come here have at one point done so because of a problem, major or minor. Few come to actually brag about their car. If a third of all Northstars blow head gaskets, I guarantee Cadillac wouldn't have the sales it has today. Indeed, if my chances of getting a bad Northstar were 1 and 3, I wouldn't buy another one! But I know the real percentage is more like 1 in 100, or 1 in 1000. Without reliable data, it's impossible to make that assessment. Reliable data might include "how many times have dealerships across the country performed a Timesert repair?" 10,000x a year? I don't know. I know Cadillac builds Northstars by the hundreds of thousands each year, so that's in the 1-10% range.

Many members have said before that we can't base our perception of good or bad reliability from posts on an Internet forum, and I think that's absolutely true.