CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Crossover looks good, lacks power

This is becoming a common theme that reviewers wish for more power in the XT5.  The new 3.6L LGX V6 is similar in output to the previous engine, and the XT5 is lighter than the SRX was.  But clearly some want more than 310 hp for a 3,985 to 4,356 lbs crossover.

Read more: http://www.bendbulletin.com/business/4488922-151/crossover-looks-good-lacks-power

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

I respectfully disagree with the statement that the XT5 lacks power.  This thing 'scoots'.  And as far as his other criticism about the 'name game', and his not knowing what XT5 means, well he is just not informed as this has been pretty much explained in multiple venues (him being a vehicle evaluator should know better):  X= crossover, T=touring and 5 (I'll grant is somewhat arbitrary) but in the scheme, of room for more models, makes as much sense as BMW 1,2,3,....., etc.

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

My sense is that the XT5 has plenty of power for the class, and that the Buyers for a crossover are not planning to race it.  However, I would like to see an XT5 VSport out quickly with the 420hp LF3 TT transverse V6 from the XTS VSport.    I believe that there IS a niche market there that wants their crossover and more power, and I would sell into it.

Bruce

Plenty of power for the class is the key and 310 hp is nothing to sneeze about.

We have an Audi Q5 with 2.0 4 cyl turbo with 220 hp that is adequate at all speeds.  Now I will say that it has an 8 speed tranny and that may contribute to its perceived power.  I dont know if the XT5 has an 8 speed.  No power complaint at all so the complaint about power is surprising.  

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Knowing Cadillacs naming I'm betting the 5 stands for 5 doors

THERE IS ALWAYS ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB RIGHT - THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH TIME TO DO THE JOB AGAIN !!!

Yes, the XT5 does have an electronically controlled 8-speed transmission.  The LGX engine also goes into V4 operation (at light loads); so far my mileage is beyond acceptable, but with only 250 miles so far don't know what a road trip will yield (though I expect high 20's on the highway).

Chuck

'19 CT6, '04 Bravada........but still lusting for that '69 Z-28

7 hours ago, OldCadTech said:

Knowing Cadillacs naming I'm betting the 5 stands for 5 doors

Back when we had CTS/STS the C or S stood for the class size -- C was similar to Mercedes C Class / BMW 5 Series, S to Mercedes S Class / BMW 7 Series.

In the current names, simply the larger the number the larger the Cadillac.  So a 3 is a smaller car than a 5 is smaller than a 6.

XT5 = crossover touring that is a mid-size.  We are missing the XT3 or XT4, and an XT6 or XT8 which are planned to be added next as crossovers larger and smaller than the XT5.

2 hours ago, cdgrinci said:

Yes, the XT5 does have an electronically controlled 8-speed transmission.  The LGX engine also goes into V4 operation (at light loads); so far my mileage is beyond acceptable, but with only 250 miles so far don't know what a road trip will yield (though I expect high 20's on the highway).

In some of the reviews they complain that they have to push down on the gas to get more power (!?) so perhaps the acceleration pedal response curve for the XT5 is too linear?  The media would prefer that it was slanted even more to 20% throttle is 80% power?  Or maybe they are describing it wrong and just feel it is not responsive enough -- not that it doesnt' have enough power, but that there is a delay in power arrival or similar?

Bruce

Archived