CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Are New Northstars timeserted?

Garlicdude

GarlicDude,

Check out the following thread.

I sorta hijacked jhall's fine rebuild topic. In spite of my penchant for sarcasm, I was fortunate enough to score some quality responses from both senior members and the legendary Guru

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4796

As was noted in several responses, how much to put into a car at build - might not make sense for all purchasers.

I thought an interesting poll might be to ask What would/or did - make you part ways with your Caddy? I thought the cooling system/head bolt issue would be #1, but the better ones (even for this site) might be wrecked, traded in and so on.

:)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Remember that the VAST majority of Northstars out there run just fine -- forEVER. All the "bad apples" from the bushel come to places like this to find out how to repair a problem, so an Internet site like this will always make any problem that happens more than once appear to be am epidemic. Truth is, so many people go back to Cadillac again and again for new Cadillacs with new Northstars.

Someone should start a poll here. Has your Northstar been Timeserted before? I bet even here, the percentage is low. The threads don't just pull by themselves. They pull if you have to remove the head to replace a head gasket, and especially if someone doesn't follow the proper procedure to repair the engine, and ESPECIALLY with the older engines, pre-1996 and Dexcool.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Remember that the VAST majority of Northstars out there run just fine -- forEVER. All the "bad apples" from the bushel come to places like this to find out how to repair a problem, so an Internet site like this will always make any problem that happens more than once appear to be am epidemic. Truth is, so many people go back to Cadillac again and again for new Cadillacs with new Northstars.

Someone should start a poll here. Has your Northstar been Timeserted before? I bet even here, the percentage is low. The threads don't just pull by themselves. They pull if you have to remove the head to replace a head gasket, and especially if someone doesn't follow the proper procedure to repair the engine, and ESPECIALLY with the older engines, pre-1996 and Dexcool.

That's what my mechanic told me, the pre-1996 Northstars had a problem with the threads pulling but it's less frequent-to-nonexistant on later models due to design change and material composition.

When I was looking to buy my 92 Seville, the first thing I asked the owner is if it had a Northstar engine. I wasn't sure at the time if the 92 had them or not. Since it had the old 4.9 engine, I bought it.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Archived