CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

How do you change a water pump?

95STSman

hey, i was wondering if any or you guys or girls ever changed a water pump in a 95 STS? I bought one yesterday, the caddy and the water pump....i need to change it asap. If anyone could give me any useful information before i pull the car apart i would appreciate it. Thanks, Nick

The water pump is on the rear of the engine (drivers side) driven by a seperate belt (under a black sheild) driven off the left intake cam. The belt needs to be removed then the pump cover (under the intake duct) needs to be removed. Here is a picture of the pump socket I made so you know what you are looking for http://www.geocities.com/grandolfo/. The pump is removed clockwise and installed counter clockwise. It is a cam lock, not threaded, so it only takes about 1/4 turn to release it. I have not needed to do one yet so I do not speak from expirience but I have heard others say that it sometimes needs a "cheater bar" (pipe) over the breaker bar for some added leverage. I've also heard an impact will break it loose if it is really corroded in place.

Don't forget to add the cooling system suppliment (sealant tabs) when you put it back together.

Archived