CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Burnouts!

I know that doing burnouts is not very good for a car but will the have any effect on my transmission? I love doing them but I don't that often because I am scared of hurting my car! What do you guys say?

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

As long as you only do it every once and a while, and don't let one wheel spin continuously, you should be fine. I wouldn't do it alot, but the occasional one, everynow and then is not big deal. Just make sure your on somewhat level groud with descent traction, and be careful. The biggest threat to the tranny (diff to be exact) is one wheel spinning. It put's excess stress on the spider gears inside, and can cause it to fail. If you do it, don't keep it going for a really long time. I'd say maybe a few seconds at most, and whatever you do, don't use your e-brake. It's not a good idea. I tried it one time, and the wheel hop almost threw me into the back seat. Good Luck, and be careful. ;)

Yeah, pulling the abs fuse would be the best way. Just make sure you put it back as soon as your done. I always wondered if there was a way to put a switch in that circuit, so you could turn it off at will. Kind of pointless, but it could be fun. It's easier than opening the hood and messing around in the fure box, only to have to do it again, 5 seconds later.....oh well. :lol:

The biggest threat to the tranny (diff to be exact) is one wheel spinning. It put's excess stress on the spider gears inside, and can cause it to fail.

I got my 85 GMC stuck in some deep snow and I was honkin' on the gas a bit too much, it spread pieces of the spider gear all around inside the diff. On the limp home the rear end would lock up every now and again, wow that was quite painful and unexpected too. I wouldn't want to imagine what that would be like on a FWD :o .

Spence

Thanks for the advice my car doesn't have traction control anyways! The left right speed sensor continuity at fault code is the only one thats coming up!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Archived