CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

window position sensor

rbrantlee

I recently purchased a 98 STS with 30K miles. The windows took about 7 seconds to move while pressing the up or down buttons. I replaced the driver door module and fixed the problem. However, I immediately began receiving the current codes DDM B3832 and DDM U1714 which aren't even listed in the service manual. I found them on this site. The first is a window position sensor circuit code and the second is a loss of front door module to window motor normal speed communication code. Has anyone ever gotten these codes and does anyone know what to do. I can't even find the location of the window position sensor. Please help.

Did you change this module or did a mechanic? Do you know if the battery was disconnected the battery during the procedure? Have you tried disconnecting the battery to kind of cold boot the system? This is only a guess, but maybe the system 'thinks' something is now wrong as something changed, since you said it occurred immediately so you may need to 'reset' normal defaults... See what happens disconnect the battery for 5 minutes then reconnect and see if you get codes... Mike

My 02 STS gets these codes too.

Usually right after my window freezes shut and the motor is unable to open it.

I asked my dealer, and he told me that they were not to be of any concern.

Do you get these codes all of the time or just now and then like mine... If its all of the time, I would give Scotty's post a try and take extra care to ensure that all conectors are fully seated.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

i tried scotty's suggestion. disconnected battery for 10-15 minutes. still get the codes. all the time. is 10-15 minutes enough? i've read posts for other problems saying disconnect the battery for 20 minutes. i wonder if i got a defective door module. i replaced it myself. the other day i removed my door panel and checked all the connections. they seemed fine. i'm at a loss.

i tried scotty's suggestion.  disconnected battery for 10-15 minutes. still get the codes.  all the time.  is 10-15 minutes enough?  i've read posts for other problems saying disconnect the battery for 20 minutes.  i wonder if i got a defective door module.  i replaced it myself.  the other day i removed my door panel and checked all the connections.  they seemed fine.  i'm at a loss.

yes thats long enough, sorry that did not work...darn, I have exhausted my noggin, maybe someone else will step up... Mike

PS was the key on when you replaced it?

PS was the key on when you replaced it?

no. the key was off. i did test it before i replaced the door panel though.

I was hoping you were going to tell me the key was on, and maybe it was damaged plugging and unplugging while the power was on, no such luck...

I guess its possible that its defective... How do you get the codes, does a check engine light set, or do you just get the code when you do a dump of codes? Does the window work OK? If so maybe you should just let this go, like Onyx suggested...

I guess its possible that its defective... How do you get the codes, does a check engine light set, or do you just get the code when you do a dump of codes? Does the window work OK? If so maybe you should just let this go, like Onyx suggested...

i just get the codes when i dump them on the instrument panel. no service lights either. the windows work great. i just thought it would be nice to actually run the codes and not get a single one, even a trivial one. is this unrealistic? this is my first obd-II car. i really appreciate you and Onyx replying to help. this is a fantastic site.

I guess its possible that its defective...  How do you get the codes, does a check engine light set, or do you just get the code when you do a dump of codes?  Does the window work OK?  If so maybe you should just let this go, like Onyx suggested...

i just get the codes when i dump them on the instrument panel. no service lights either. the windows work great. i just thought it would be nice to actually run the codes and not get a single one, even a trivial one. is this unrealistic? this is my first obd-II car. i really appreciate you and Onyx replying to help. this is a fantastic site.

Thanks, I know what you mean, NO CODES..... Maybe if you take it to the dealer they may have the ability to update your firmware... or maybe the can shut the code off.... or maybe they have additional info on these codes, but if they are not harming anything, I would let it go (but I know what you mean, ARRRR a code)... Mike :lol:

On my 94 sts, the drivers side widow gives me trouble. When i try to bring the window down, it moves very slow sometimes it freezes, when i try to bring it down. Going up is a different story. when the button is pressed to go up, the window has no problems at all, suggestions?

rbrantlee,

Perhaps the window is "out of synch" with the motor somehow? Some kind of travel detection may have built into newer models. Perhaps the break-away speed is higher and then slows as it get to closing (smart windows)?

If the window was up when the motor was replaced; then remove the motor, lower the window and replace the motor without moving it or operating it.

If the window was down when the motor was replaced, then remove the motor, raise the window and replace the motor without moving or operating it.

Good luck :)

rollingthunder1994,

This might sound dumb but; Swap the driver's window motor with the driver-side rear window motor. If the driver's window motor now works OK - that's it. You might be able to leave the swap in place (as I did).

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

rbrantlee,

Perhaps the window is "out of synch" with the motor somehow? Some kind of travel detection may have built into newer models. Perhaps the break-away speed is higher and then slows as it get to closing (smart windows)?

If the window was up when the motor was replaced; then remove the motor, lower the window and replace the motor without moving it or operating it.

If the window was down when the motor was replaced, then remove the motor, raise the window and replace the motor without moving or operating it.

rollingthunder1994,

This might sound dumb but; Swap the driver's window motor with the driver-side rear window motor. If the driver's window motor now works OK - that's it. You might be able to leave the swap in place (as I did).

i replaced the driver door module, not the motor.

On my 94 sts, the drivers side widow gives me trouble. When i try to bring the window down, it moves very slow sometimes it freezes, when i try to bring it down. Going up is a different story. when the button is pressed to go up, the window has no problems at all, suggestions?

sorry, no suggestions. anyone?

What did you replace the Express Down module?

Check this article out about:

Programming the Window Sensor/Motor – Express Up Function, I wonder if the express down module needs to be reprogrammed?

http://www.i-car.com/html_pages/about_icar...001/100801.html

I dont see anything about reprogramming in my 96 manual..... Were there instructions with the express up module?

What did you replace the Express Down module?

Check this article out about:

Programming the Window Sensor/Motor – Express Up Function, I wonder if the express down module needs to be reprogrammed?

http://www.i-car.com/html_pages/about_icar...001/100801.html

I dont see anything about reprogramming in my 96 manual..... Were there instructions with the express up module?

i replaced the driver door module. no instructions. i tried your suggestion about reprogramming the module. no luck. thanks, though.

I DID NOT suggest that you do that, I was offering that as a heads up that programming may be necessary... that info I sent to you was for an EXPRESS UP, you have EXPRESS DOWN on your car.... this was just to stimulate thought... I do believe that it needs to be programmed somehow, call or visit your dealer and speak to the service manager, tell him your story, do the express down modules get programmed?....like the EXPRESS UP desccribed in the info I sent to you.... This is going to require some research and you may need to find the geek in the back room wearing the beanie with the propeller on it to give you the answer :lol:

I would not be surprised if Logan, Bruce, Guru, Kevin or Ian has the answer to this, I am REALLY surprised that instructions did not come with that module.

Archived