CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Check Coolant Level...AGAIN ??

97LDough

Recently, my 1997 Eldorado is loosing coolant. I placed cardboard underneath the engine, but with no drips. I noticed that it has to be coming out of the overflow while I am driving. Why is the car losing coolant ? The temp. gauge stays normal, and only rises a little when I get on it. That must be when I am losing coolant. Anyone have an answer for me ?

Check your water pump belt for cracks or a binding water pump belt tensioner. Replace your radiator cap. I do believe that this is a sealed system and there is no overflow, the tank is sealed. That you are not overheating is good. What makes you say its coming out of the overflow do you see coolant after a hard drive? There are a couple of hoses on the heater core piping that could be leaking under pressure, check under your carpet on the passenger side floor, are the windows steaming up at all? Do you see steam coming out of the exhaust after a long drive? Mike

Mike, the carpet is bone dry, and the windows are not steaming up. I just took the car in yesterday, because something on the belt is binding, and causing my alternator to lose power, along with the horrifying noise that comes with it. The volts would drop to 9, then spring up to 14.5. My friend owns a racing shop, and I took the car in yesterday, and he is going to check out both problems. Is the belt problem the reason for the coolant leak ? And what causes these problems ? Tim

Mike, the carpet is bone dry, and the windows are not steaming up. I just took the car in yesterday, because something on the belt is binding, and causing my alternator to lose power, along with the horrifying noise that comes with it. The volts would drop to 9, then spring up to 14.5. My friend owns a racing shop, and I took the car in yesterday, and he is going to check out both problems. Is the belt problem the reason for the coolant leak ? And what causes these problems ? Tim

I dont want to be premature here as I am not a doom and gloomer. Hopefully when you friend gets the car up in the air he will find a loose clamp, water pump seal leak or bad hose. These types of things happen over time, rotating items such as AC hubs, alternator bearing, tensioners and idler wheels go bad as they age as the grease drys up bearing wear, etc.. Its normal.

I hope that you have a simple problem with the coolant loss, I will keep my fingers crossed...report back what you find, Mike

Mike, I really dont think there are any leaks. The very bottom pulley on the belt is wobbling. This is causing the belt to make noise. Could this have an affect on the fan,thus making the car overflow coolant ? The overflow tube is wet on the open end, along with the frame directly under it. I will call him today, and be back on later. I have to go to class now. Thanks. Tim

Mike, I really dont think there are any leaks. The very bottom pulley on the belt is wobbling. This is causing the belt to make noise. Could this have an affect on the fan,thus making the car overflow coolant ? The overflow tube is wet on the open end, along with the frame directly under it. I will call him today, and be back on later. I have to go to class now. Thanks. Tim

If in fact you are pushing out coolant, it is a good bet that your water pump belt or water pump belt tensioner needs attention. Good Luck

Ldough,

Keep in mind that the waterpump belt is at the left side of the engine and is separate from the main accessory drive belt. It has a small tensioner assembly as well.

Are you overfilling the system? I think the fulll cold mark is 1-1/2 to 2" below the neck in the overflow tank. If you top it off, it will be expelled and give the appearance of the engine using/leaking coolant.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived