CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AC problems

Julio

Anyone have experience with this message, The system is pressurized checking it on the low side, the AC had worked since July when I certed the engine and installed it. I have 12 volts on the low side pressure sensor. I don't think it is low on pressure, will you get that message if the compressor is bad? Would you get that message if the orafice is clogged? Any ideas would be helpfull.

Thanks,

Julio

Anyone have experience with this message, The system is pressurized checking it on the low side, the AC had worked since July when I certed the engine and installed it. I have 12 volts on the low side pressure sensor. I don't think it is low on pressure, will you get that message if the compressor is bad? Would you get that message if the orafice is clogged? Any ideas would be helpfull.

Thanks,

Julio

If the system is telling you that it is low on refrigerant, it most likely is low on refrigerant. If you are checking the low side pressure with one of those AC gages that look like a tire pressure gage, disregard the readings as those things are worse than useless....

To check the system pressures, you need a manifold gage set to monitor the high and low sides simultaneously. Compare the readings with those in the performance chart in the service manual.

I will bet that your system is 1 to 1-1/2 lbs low on R-134a.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

I tried to add it, the can will not get cold or expell any into the system. I tried several times. I did measure it with the tire pressure like white guage after I realized it would not take any more 134. I don't know what to do next except completely clean out the system new orifice tube and drier. I'm worried the oriface tube is clogged. There are 2 sensors on each side of the orafice tube, if the pressure differential at each sensor exceeds some limit the system shuts down and gives a B code and will display low 134. I agree that if it says it is low on 134 then it should be. And if its clogged at the orafice tube or the compressor is bad each should be described. I'm thinking of taking it some where, if it was clogged it should of clogged sometime ago why would it clogg in cold weather? Or did it clogg because the compressor blew apart? I guess the best thing to do is tear it down and completely overhaul it it has 80k on it.

Julio

The short answer is the switch opens under 10 PSI. So you either have a defective switch or low freon. When it is cold out the system is more sensitive to fill state. The cooler the freon the less pressure. So as it got cold the switch was tripped. I imagine that if you cleared the codes on a warmer day it would not reset until it became cold again. Borrow a set of good gauges. To get the freon in you may have to put the can in some water. As the freon leaves the temp drops and the pressure goes away. The water will heat it and restore the pressure. But first get the gauges because they will help identify any problems.

HTH

John

I tried to add it, the can will not get cold or expell any into the system. I tried several times. I did measure it with the tire pressure like white guage after I realized it would not take any more 134. I don't know what to do next except completely clean out the system new orifice tube and drier. I'm worried the oriface tube is clogged. There are 2 sensors on each side of the orafice tube, if the pressure differential at each sensor exceeds some limit the system shuts down and gives a B code and will display low 134. I agree that if it says it is low on 134 then it should be. And if its clogged at the orafice tube or the compressor is bad each should be described. I'm thinking of taking it some where, if it was clogged it should of clogged sometime ago why would it clogg in cold weather? Or did it clogg because the compressor blew apart? I guess the best thing to do is tear it down and completely overhaul it it has 80k on it.

Julio

You need to clear the low refrigerant code and then hook up the can of refrigerant to the low side. Burp the air from the charging hose. Start the car and turn on the air conditioning. The system will pull in enough refrigerant before the code sets again.

Your system is probably just low on refrigerant after being in service for 7+ years. I would not suspect a bad compressor or clogged orifice tube.

You need to monitor the high and low pressure sides with a manifold gage set. Compare the readings to the chart in the shop manual according to the ambient temperature and relative humidity.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thanks big guns, I'll let you know how its goes the info in the pressure change was good news, I bought the obd2 cable from obd-2.com to read my codes. It's supposed to work with Mopar GM and Asian veichles, yet I'm not getting anything from the Miata of any value when it connects. It was still worth the $100

I paid. They said I should be able to pull the b codes some how but yet to have any luck. The P codes come out good and helped on the 0441. I was in Daytona and it was deadly cold that Sunday the Steelers whacked the ravens and that when it went down. I would really like to see my compressor come on so if resetting the b code would give another failure cycle long enough to kick on the compressor I'l be stoked. Well it sounds logical now. When I charged the system, I rented the vacuum pump from auto zone but tried to fill it from a can instead of a bottle. So to fill it I had to break suction to poke a hole in the can, probably got air in it and not a full 134 charge. I’ll look for a can opener that hooks to the gauges instead of the low side nipple.

Eye opener

Julio

Archived