CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Question about a smell...

AaronM

My car sometimes smells like rotted eggs/sulfur. It happens sometimes when I stop at a stop light. The car will fill with that smell. Then when I drive off, it goes away. I am guessing my car is running a little rich. Anyone have ideas on how to fix this? Is it the cat? The car runs perfectly fine.

Thanks!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

My car sometimes smells like rotted eggs/sulfur. It happens sometimes when I stop at a stop light. The car will fill with that smell. Then when I drive off, it goes away. I am guessing my car is running a little rich. Anyone have ideas on how to fix this? Is it the cat? The car runs perfectly fine.

Thanks!

My 4.9 would do this once in a while after a stall when she was cold. Check for codes. Clean your throttle body, check air filter. Manually check your gas mileage for the next tank or two and compare it to the average miles per gallon on the DIC after you reset it to zero, do it accurately. If the two differ you might be able to determine that you have a leaky injector. The cat on the 4.9 eventually needs replacing. How was your last emissions test?

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the air filter and cleaned the throttle body this summer. The gas mileage really hasn't changed over the past month or two. 12.5mpg :rolleyes:. It was 15 during the summer, but I think the colder weather during the winter makes the mpg go down. I will manually check it as well! We don't have emissions testing here in Michigan. No codes either. How much would a fix be if it was a leaky fuel injector?

THANKS FOR THE HELP! :D

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Thanks for the reply. I replaced the air filter and cleaned the throttle body this summer. The gas mileage really hasn't changed over the past month or two. 12.5mpg :rolleyes:. It was 15 during the summer, but I think the colder weather during the winter makes the mpg go down. I will manually check it as well! We don't have emissions testing here in Michigan. No codes either. How much would a fix be if it was a leaky fuel injector?

THANKS FOR THE HELP! :D

Individual injectors are not expensive, nor are they hard to install. How often does this happen, it happened to me about once every six months. Gas mileage does drop in the winter, we discussed that recently here. Check the air pressure in your tires I think tire pressure is easy to overlook in the winter.

Your gas mileage seems unusually low for both the summer and winter, do you drive a lot of stop and go? Have you replaced the CAT?

Thanks for the replies! The smell happens in the same place almost every time. I start up my car and drive around a couple of corners until I reach the stop sign. Then it smells. It once also happened one time when I was passing someone doing a WOT. I smelled before I stopped on that occasion. I usually get my gas from Mobile since it is about a 1/4 mile away. But, I will try another brand next time. I am at a half tank right now. I have a $25 gas card for Shell. I guess I will have to try that V-Power stuff!

THANKS!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Archived