CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cad 93' STS will not start

edinator

Is there some kind of fuel pump shut off or something similar after impact which would prevent my STS from starting. Last night someone knocked a lamppost over the service road exit and 10 cars hit it including me and blew out tires etc. Since then mine won't start.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Paul

Doesn't start is vague description. For someone to help, you need to provide much more information.

Where did the car hit the object? In the front, left or right side, rear, etc.

You mention that tires blew out. Who's? Yours? Which ones?

Did you completely run over an object, like from front to rear, or hit it with left rear quarter panel area?

Will the engine turn over at all?

Will the engine turn over, but not start?

Have you checked in the area of impact for any damage to wiring or other items?

Did you see any signs of gas leaking from under your car?

Have you copied down any error codes? What are the codes?

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I havn't had a chance to examine the beast yet, and yes my left side tires were blown out with the impact. After the accident the starter was turning the engine over with no problem but no joy. As far as error codes my battery is now dead. Until i can electrical power i can't supply those. I suppose my question was really trying to find out if there is some kind of failsafe mode caused by an impact. The bags did not deploy as i went over the lamppost rather than through it. It seemed at the time like it was a left side impact.

Thanks a lot.

PMH

As the impact was on the left side, blowing both tires, I would be looking to see if the fuel lines had been damaged. A chunk of tire or other debris could have ripped of the fuel filter or other portion of the fuel lines.

The fuel lines run along the frame on the LEFT side of the car. The fuel filter is just below the rear door. Fuel pump connections are also in the left rear area.

I would check the fuel lines from rear to front very carefully before trying to start the car. After getting the battery charged turn on the key. You should hear the fuel pump pressurizing then stopping after a few seconds. If the fuel filter is knocked off or loose, a fuel line is leaking, the fuel pump will stop pumping for safety. Try to start the car.

If the car will crank over, but not start, the starter system is OK.

Check ALL of the fuses in the trunk and under the hood, replace with same amp rating, as required.

Get the error codes and post back here for more help.

Concentrate on checking the fuel lines and electrical connections that may have been damaged on the left side of the car.

Then look over the rest of the car, underneath is the most likely place to look, rather then under the hood.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Thanks for your suggestions George.

Since I posted i have been able to do a quick inspection underneath the car and there is some weird looking gunge almost looks like battery corrosion underneath the gas tank and a wet spot (see attached) which i think may be the problem i suspect a hole in the tank. When i applied electrical power to the car the fuel guage is eading 1/2 full which i know is wrong as i was close to empty when this all happened.

Thanks Much.

PMH

post-3-1107033033_thumb.jpg

The crud hanging from the tank is some kind of build-up all right. I am not sure what it is though. If you are in an area that has snow, and chemicals/salt are applied to the road, it may be an accumulation of that. Knock it off and look over the whole area.

The gas tank is made of polyethylene though, so it will not rust or corrode.

I would check very carefully for a hole if you detect a wet spot from fuel.

-George

DTS_Signature.jpg

Archived