CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

7.0 liter

tbone

Cadillac lovers,

I just purchased my 77 sedan for only $600. My dipstick states that 4 quarts is the max amount. I just can't believe this, so I went ahead and put in 6 quats of 40 wt. Can anyone tell me the proper amount of oil that the 7.0 oiter cadillac motor takes. Thank you very much for your time an knowledge.

Regards,

Tbone

40wt? Where do you live? In the dessert? In Austrailia? (Aussies love 60wt oils) Do yourself a big favor and get an owners manual for that car. If it says 4 quarts, then put 4 in. There should at least be a FULL mark you can go by????

Most oils today are far superior to anything that was available in the 70's. Don't think you are doing yourself or your car a favor by putting heavy oil in it.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

This is from a 1978 Chiltons Manual, 4 quarts plus one for the filter. I believe the car called for 10W40, not straight 40W, straight 40W will cause problems in cold weather. Years ago 5 quarts total was the norm, I was shocked when I saw the NS capacity. The 425 was an Olds engine, no?

post-3-1106878146_thumb.jpg

The 425 was an Olds engine, no?

Olds did have a 425 back in the 1960s. I think 1968 was the last year for it. It was "replaced" by the 455. Both were (are) big blocks.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

When changing the oil AND filter, use 5 quarts. The 4 quart spec is if you fo not change the filter. In those days, the owner's manuals stated to change the filter at every other oil change.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 1 month later...
This is from a 1978 Chiltons Manual, 4 quarts plus one for the filter. I believe the car called for 10W40, not straight 40W, straight 40W will cause problems in cold weather. Years ago 5 quarts total was the norm, I was shocked when I saw the NS capacity. The 425 was an Olds engine, no?

Mike I have a question. Where do you get all these diagrams that you always post. You seem to be able to find anything on any caddy! Just wondering if they are on your computer or you get them off the internet and where on the internet you get them from. Thanks

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

This is from a 1978 Chiltons Manual, 4 quarts plus one for the filter. I believe the car called for 10W40, not straight 40W, straight 40W will cause problems in cold weather.  Years ago 5 quarts total was the norm, I was shocked when I saw the NS capacity.  The 425 was an Olds engine, no?

Mike I have a question. Where do you get all these diagrams that you always post. You seem to be able to find anything on any caddy! Just wondering if they are on your computer or you get them off the internet and where on the internet you get them from. Thanks

No, I have a library of Chiltons, old carburator rebuilding kit directions, and old service manuals. When I see something I can clear up with a chart or scan, I post it, Thanks, Mike

I have an HP scanner, fax and printer, I scan the item and save it in a folder for future use..

Archived