CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 Deville Suspension Question

IaBoy

Hi.. I have just purchased a 96 Deville with 95,000 miles. It does need new tires. It does seem that the suspension is a little soft. it seems to hit bottom when I go over a railroad tracks or stuff like that. This car is just meant to be a "Cruiser" for us. It does not handle like our SLS, but I wasn't expecting it to. Does this car use the computerized suspension like our SLS does. or could it be just regular shocks I need to replace? Thanks for the Help as usual!!

Steve

98 SLS White

95 SLS White (with cracked transmission case :()

96 Deville White

Hi Steve,

My '97 brochure indicates that "new for 1997", the base Eldorado and Deville models (read: not Concours or ETC) have standard hydraulic shocks, which seems to indicate that up until then, they were active shocks. I bet you have RSS, or Road Sensing Suspension, meaning the struts and shocks are electronic.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Hi.. I have just purchased a 96 Deville with 95,000 miles. It does need new tires. It does seem that the suspension is a little soft. it seems to hit bottom when I go over a railroad tracks or stuff like that. This car is just meant to be a "Cruiser" for us. It does not handle like our SLS, but I wasn't expecting it to. Does this car use the computerized suspension like our SLS does. or could it be just regular shocks I need to replace? Thanks for the Help as usual!!

Steve

98 SLS White

95 SLS White (with cracked transmission case :()

96 Deville White

It's more or less the same suspension as your SLS, active struts and the system is called the Road Sensing Suspension (RSS),

The floating and bottoming out you are feeling is because the struts are shot and most likely need replacing, mine have been shot since 46,000 miles, there are OEM replacements and aftermarket passive replacements

Here is a description of the RSS system from my 1996 Deville, Seville and Eldo manual

post-3-1106860351_thumb.jpg

Hey, would the suspension parts for my 95 SLS that I am going to junk be worth keeping for this 96 Deville? Are they the same parts? Or is the removal and installation of these parts too labor intensive to make it worth while?

As everyone has probably gathered by my questions, my Cadi knowledge and general car expertiese is FAR below probably EVERYONE on this board, thats why I am asking these possibly dumb questions.

Steve

Hey, would the suspension parts for my 95 SLS that I am going to junk be worth keeping for this 96 Deville? Are they the same parts? Or is the removal and installation of these parts too labor intensive to make it worth while?

As everyone has probably gathered by my questions, my Cadi knowledge and general car expertiese is FAR below probably EVERYONE on this board, thats why I am asking these possibly dumb questions.

Steve

I am not sure either if the struts from your 95 will fit the 96 a call to a dealer or parts house should confirm that, if the struts fit and they are in good shape, it might be worth it. If the strut and spring assembly is a direct swap you would save a lot of time, but I kind of doubt that the Seville and Deville have interchangable strut/spring assemblies but you never know..

Archived