CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Northstar Power

Scotty

Lately I have been doing this tell me if I am wacked out.

Tonight I am coming home and I am doing 72 - 73 in the left lane, and passing slower traffic on my right. I see in my rearview a car pull into my lane and he pulls right up my butt and I mean right up my butt like I am doing 55... I really don't want to go too much faster, I am passing the line of cars on my right, can't get over to let him by and he is up my butt. When I was a kid my this would make my mom angry and she would take her foot off the gas while at the same time tapping her left foot on the brake just to light up the brake lights, needless to say the guy would get the message!, but that's another story. I wait till I am about a half of car length past the last car that I am passing on my right and the road ahead is clear (for safety purposes) all the while the guy is up my butt, :angry: I tromp WOT on the gas, man I love that sound, and leave this pedestrian in a hugh cloud of WOT dusk and while he is OBSCURED from me I smile and wonder if my carbon is being sucked into his cabin! :lol: Tailgate me will ya... :D Tonight I looked down at 97 and notice that I am about a quarter of a mile ahead of the pack :blink: , let that be a lesson to him!

Am I a sick man? :unsure: Or am I just looking for an excuse to perform proper WOT engine maintenance? :)

Scotty..I've been in similar situations many times, usually its while merging into the passing lane...Some one will be a ways back doing like 80+(in the left lane), I'll be in the middle lane then merge to pass. That person then comes flying up on me and right as they get ready to "teach this slow guy in a Cadillac a lesson by riding his *smurf*" I'll WOT it! and be doing 90 in seconds....And although I can't see the person behind me I'd bet he's muttering something similar to "holy *smurf*" :)

A.J.

Here in Sweden it´s almost always BMW (whether it has a 1.8 litre engine or 4.5 litre), Volvo V70, Audi and Saab owners who are tailgaiting, I think that it has something to do with some peasant attitude like "Hey look at me because I drive the coolest car around here in my town..." <_>

Everyone seems to drive like they own the road if the have a Volvo V70..everyone has one here. I hate those cars...they are ugly, noisy and lacks of everything that a Cadillac has like Comfort, equippment interior sound etc

I have been driving Volvos for almost 10 years and had more ordinary traditional ones before they tried to get sporty and "classy" :D

Here in Sweden we refer to Volvo owners as farmers with an unusually fast tractor.

Sure they are well engineered but the have problems with quality ever since Ford bought the car division.

With the old ones you never heard of problems with bushings in the steering assembly, worn gearboxes etc.

My sister and her husband bought a 850 T5R (they do like 0-60 in 6.6 seconds) and she said "if you´re nice perhaps I will let you take it for a ride"

That was 2 years ago, haven´t done that yet...

My mother and father spent their vacation with them and made a trip to Norway in that car. He often says to me " I can´t understand wy they bought a car like that, twice the price my STS, lesser equipment, noicy, hard suspension etc"

Well I´m not impressed either since we had a couple of 850´s as company cars..

Sorry for my rambeling, couldn´t resist ;)

Back on track again. If someone is tailgating me I normaly move to the right lane, and at the moment the ugly xxx steps on it and tries to get by I step on it too (usually with a big smile all ower the face).

Sure there were one who actually passed me but he never got that far ahead of me (the -93 STS is a bit of a "slow" starter) before I got beside and passed him in the right lane.

Got to keep them where they belong...far behind

Scotty!

BRAVO!!!!

Nice Job on the Tailgater! Lesson is...You haven't been doing

WOT's enough! I do them every Week, or every day if I can...

I never, EVER, have seen anything coming out of the back of the car...

Feel so good though, doesn't it?!?!

I'll bet that a**hole never caught up to you after that...

He was too busy looking for another car to tailgate!

I let off the gas sometimes too...BUT, I never touch the brakes.

Instead, I usually downshift to 3rd, and watch the a**hole in the

tailgating car freak out when he realizes I am slowing down!

Then they hit the brakes! LOLoLOLoLOL.

I too have to wonder what that blast of dirty exhaust tasted like in his

crappy little car WITHOUT THE CABIN AIR FILTER! lol lol

I wonder if the carbon is crunchy between his teeth? :D:D:D

Am I a sick man? :unsure: Or am I just looking for an excuse to perform proper WOT engine maintenance? :)

It's fun, ain't it? Even habit-forming? Look at the quote in my signature. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

i go through something similar every day on my way home from work when i am getting on the interstate. there are three lanes on the ramp that all merge into one (center) just before you get on the interstate. just yesterday, i was attempting to merge into the centerlane when the car behind me (but in the center lane) sped up and got up close to the car just in front of me (in the center lane). i looked back at him, laughed, punched it and passed ALL of them and got in front of the whol line. didn't see them anymore on my way home.

goob

darn all of you!

ahaha

My caddy is put away for the winter so when anyone tells a great story like that, I swear the rest of the day I have WOT's in my head.

Well last night I was able to do basically the same thing Scotty did.

I was coming from a friends house around 12:30 a.m and I was passing a transport and there was a light snow on the highway and this Ford Tempo came flying up behind me, and the weather conditions werent exactly ideal for this.

He was riding my butt huge, so I stomped on it in my brothers 04 Ram (that HEMI also growls, not the same as the N*). His truck is equipped with the All Wheel Drive, so I had no problem on the snowy road and I just flew ahead up to the next exit.

Good times without the Cadillac. :D

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

Scotty that was classic! :lol: A tailgater takes away most options of avoiding an oncoming accident. They're the bottom of the barrel when it comes to drivers in my opinion. If it weren't against the law I'd have a rear mounted grenade launcher or 50 cal...... ok so that's a little extreme? At least a remote operated trap door in the bottom of the trunk that would release some large roofing nails. :ph34r::lol:

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I adjust my brake light switch so I can flash the brake lights loooong before I apply any force to the master cylinder link.

Works like a hose.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Out of curiosity how do you guys define a tailgater? :blink: I define them as someone who aggresivley rides within feet (inches) of someone else's rear bumper, for an extended period of time. Now there are instances when I want to pass and I belive the person in front of me thinks that I don't want to pass. They aren't sure weather I want to stay behind them,and use them as a shield, or pass them. So I will (on occasion) come up close behind the car in front of me, then immediately back off a couple car length's or so, just to let the guy in front of me know that I indeed want to pass and not follow. Usually the guy in front of me understands and moves to the center lane...without incident. I could honk,bright-light, or tailgate to let the guy in front of me know I want to pass, but I think this is the best way.

A.J.

For me there is a distance that someone tailgates that begins to feel uncomfortable to me, and I quickly move my focus away from him and on to the road and surrounding cars, as he has now put both of us at risk if something happens in front of me. Its a distance thing yes, but the distance is something I can't quantify, its more of a feeling, knowing that if you hit your brake this guy will not stop quick enough. At that point my total focus is watching for someone pulling out in front of me, so that I can evade and blast with my horn verses braking and ending up with him in my trunk. I become defensive and my antenna go up. I think I get nervous at highway speeds when I can no longer see the persons front end fully in my rear view mirror..

Out of curiosity how do you guys define a tailgater?  :blink:  I define them as someone who aggresivley rides within feet (inches) of someone else's rear bumper, for an extended period of time. Now there are instances when I want to pass and I belive the person in front of me thinks that I don't want to pass. They aren't sure weather I want to stay behind them,and use them as a shield, or pass them. So I will (on occasion) come up close behind the car in front of me, then immediately back off a couple car length's or so, just to let the guy in front of me know that I indeed want to pass and not follow. Usually the guy in front of me understands and moves to the center lane...without incident. I could honk,bright-light, or tailgate to let the guy in front of me know I want to pass, but I think this is the best way.

I understand what you are saying, but I am sure you would not "come up close behind the car in front of you", if that car did not have a place to move over too and he was passing cars. Like what happened to me last night, I had no place to move right to and I was doing 73 already in a 55, so when he did that to me, that was seriously rude. What do I need to do put my right signal on and force my way into a line of traffic to let him by, which is a risky rushed lane change with someone up your butt or do 80 to get him off my *smurf*, then what happens when he continues tailgating and I am now doing 80? I have seen that happen also and that is dangerous, I never speed up. I also dont slow down as that could be construed to be an act of aggression or it could cause a bump leading to an accident, I continue at the same speed till I am safe, and then I seriously blow him away letting him know that what he did was wrong... slow down and glancce at him, because I always like to see what an a-hole looks like. My wife thinks glancing at the a-hole is an aggessive move, but I disagree, flipping him the bird, now that would be aggressive... :lol:

Here in Sweden it´s almost always BMW (whether it has a 1.8 litre engine or 4.5 litre), Volvo V70, Audi and Saab owners who are tailgaiting, I think that it has something to do with some peasant attitude like "Hey look at me because I drive the coolest car around here in my town..." 

Everyone seems to drive like they own the road if the have a Volvo V70..everyone has one here. I hate those cars...they are ugly, noisy and lacks of everything that a Cadillac has like Comfort, equippment interior sound etc

I have been driving Volvos for almost 10 years and had more ordinary traditional ones before they tried to get sporty and "classy" 

Here in Sweden we refer to Volvo owners as farmers with an unusually fast tractor.

:D:D:D This one had me rolling out of my chair! We get a lot of this tailgating stuff down here in Southern Ohio....it must be that "peasant attitude"! We also have a lot of peasants down here, so it has to be true. Now, keep in mind I'm talking tailgating on a road with a max speed limit of say 40! :(

I never got much of that when I lived in Pittsburgh. It was one of the first things I noticed when I moved down here 5 years ago. It's wierd, down here when all three cars get in a line, they call it a traffic jam! People start talking to their steering wheels and tailgating! Unbelievable!

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Out of curiosity how do you guys define a tailgater?    I define them as someone who aggresivley rides within feet (inches) of someone else's rear bumper, for an extended period of time.

I was on my way to Boston, MA from NJ making some 80 in the left lane. An idiot in gray Caprice started aggressively tailgating me (a foot no more between the cars). I have changed the lane to let the idiot go... he changed too still tailgating me. :angry: I moved to the left lane again and sped up to 90. The idiot in gray Caprice did the same maneuver. I looked at him in my rear view mirror and tapped slightly at my had by a finger. It was a bold young guy with sunglasses. He did not care. When I made some 95 he turned on the sirens... it was a cop. :huh::lol: I got used to troopers' cars in NJ , they are all white Crown Vics. So I have learned things maybe different in Connecticut. :lol:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

With the talk of ridding the good ol' N* of carbon , reminds me of a license plate frame I saw at the state fair.... "If you can read this...Roll up your windows...

I'm hoping they set their booth up next year.....Just gotta have it.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Russ

Out of curiosity how do you guys define a tailgater?    I define them as someone who aggresivley rides within feet (inches) of someone else's rear bumper, for an extended period of time.

I was on my way to Boston, MA from NJ making some 80 in the left lane. An idiot in gray Caprice started aggressively tailgating me (a foot no more between the cars). I have changed the lane to let the idiot go... he changed too still tailgating me. :angry: I moved to the left lane again and sped up to 90. The idiot in gray Caprice did the same maneuver. I looked at him in my rear view mirror and tapped slightly at my had by a finger. It was a bold young guy with sunglasses. He did not care. When I made some 95 he turned on the sirens... it was a cop. :huh::lol: I got used to troopers' cars in NJ , they are all white Crown Vics. So I have learned things maybe different in Connecticut. :lol:

OMG :lol::lol::lol: Was that you I saw on Police Car Chase Videos the other night?! :lol:

HEY that was HIS fault for TAILGATING!!

With the talk of ridding the good ol' N* of carbon , reminds me of a license plate frame I saw at the state fair.... "If you can read this...Roll up your windows...

I'm hoping they set their booth up next year.....Just gotta have it.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Russ

That's great!

Regarding tailgating...

On the way to Reno on I-80, I usually stay in the left lane and run low to mid-80's on cruise without touching the brake (about 1.75 hours). Unless, some clue-less driver decides to plod around a truck or whatever just as I'm coming up from behind (relatively quickly).

Is it tailgating when they pull out to the left lane and wonder how their mirror filled up with red Cadillac - seemingly from out of nowhere?

Sure, I tap the brakes get 8-10 car lengths back - but the display of total amazement (if/when the dummies actually do check their mirror) is still a chuckle. Gotta be a whole new world for some each day they get out of bed...

However, the NorthStar's snarl and snick from 75 to triples leaves 'em to ponder what just happened? Don't I own the road wherever the car happens to wander?

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I will NEVER give it a WOT to prove anything to a tailgater. That just is the response he is looking for (if I tailgate you, you'll get out of my way). Tailgaters get the exact opposite response from me. I tap down the cruise and piss them off more than they pissed me off (if that's possible).

Russ

I would definitely buy one if I saw those around here. Gotta love the straight tail pipes for thowing a nice carbon plume in the "right" direction. ;)

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I tap down the cruise and piss them off more than they pissed me off (if that's possible).

I've done that a few times, but you never know who you are dealing with. About five years ago I was walking out of Mc'donalds and noticed a guy in an adjacent parking lot SCREAMING at two Asian guys that had apparently just cut him off. The two guys where trying to apologize, but this guy just kept going off. Finally he got REALLY mad and pulled out a Colt 45 from under his back seat. ( I was about 30 yards behind him watching this unfold in disbelief :o ) After another brief exchange of words (with the gun concealed behind his back) the guy got in his truck and took off. From then on I've always been a little cautious while on the road....You never know who your messing with.

A.J.

I will NEVER give it a WOT to prove anything to a tailgater. That just is the response he is looking for (if I tailgate you, you'll get out of my way). Tailgaters get the exact opposite response from me. I tap down the cruise and piss them off more than they pissed me off (if that's possible).

I agree with you, I never taunt anyone, but any approach you take can get you in trouble, slowing down could just as easily piss someone off, there is no winning on the road but I always make sure its obvious I'm not playing games.

Archived