CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Could'nt take it anymore

Rickster

Finnally taking her in to replace the shaft. The rattle is driving me crazy!!!! Please do not tell me it is something else. I have had it greased before and the rattle and looseness goes away. Funny thing though, when under warrenty, dealer would never admit there was a problem with theses shafts. "It just needs grease and all will be fine" What a load of BS. Went to the dealer the other day to get it greased again and asked them if GM has owned up to lousey shafts. "No, we just replace them" So why don't they do it under warrenty? Because they will missout on the $400. Bastards. So I am spending the $400 so I don't have to see them again.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Hey Rickster,

I don't know how you did it, but, man did you put a lot of miles on that caddy!?!?

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 50,300k <<<===

Sorry, man I couldn't resist...bored at work...peace out!

We bought a 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo with 22,000 miles on it and the first time I drove it after we got it home I said to my wife call the dealer... I told them that it was vibrating/rattling and I could feel it in the steering wheel, and it needed to be looked at that we just took it home YESTERDAY! :blink:

They called a short while later and said, NO PROBLEM, NO CHARGE it was the intermediate steering shaft, supposedly there was a SB on it and the grease dries out and we need to pack it with the correct/improved grease... I was a little PO'd because it was a GM Certified car...... but hey if it can happen on a 2002 Chevy im sure it could happen on yours..CHECK FOR A Service Bulletin on the grease and pay them a visit....if you find it

SEE how these OT posts can be potentially helpful! :lol:

I just looked up the service bullitens on the Monte Carlo and found this, mine occurred on bumps and turns however...

01-02-32-001B JUL 02 Steering - Clunk Noise From Front Of Vehicle On Turns

I am not sure if its related to the grease problem

I found this on your car

01-02-32-001B JUL 02 Steering - Clunk Noise From Front Of Vehicle On Turns

Think this is related? I guess a full description of this SB is necessary, how do we do that?

At one time....there was a TSB for a bunch of GM cars related to the intermediate shaft clunk. Cavaliers to Cadillacs. The 'fix' was sticker grease.

In my case.....the grease would work ok for 5k miles or so....then the clunk would return.

I ended up replacing my shaft with a used one for $80. I think there is actully a newer style shaft available......for $400.....

Clunk Noise From Front of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver/Steering Wheel Rotation (Lubricate Intermediate Shaft) #01-02-32-001D - (Aug 3, 2004)

Clunk Noise From Front Of Vehicle During Turning Maneuver/Steering Wheel Rotation (Lubricate Intermediate Shaft)

2001-2003 Oldsmobile Aurora

1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue

This bulletin is being revised to update the model information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-02-32-001C (Section 02 [shy ] Steering).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a clunk type noise coming from the front of the vehicle during a turning maneuver. This condition may also be felt through the steering wheel when the vehicle is stationary and the wheel is rotated from steering stop to steering stop. Some vehicles may only exhibit the noise once for every 360° of wheel rotation. On all other vehicles, this clunk noise will be noticed during low speed acceleration or deceleration, typically in light turns of the steering wheel.

Important

Do not replace the following steering gear part numbers:

GM P/N 26099977

GM P/N 26099976

GM P/N 26079916

Do not replace the following intermediate shafts:

GM P/N 26078302

GM P/N 26100571

This condition is commonly misdiagnosed as originating in the steering gear and has resulted in the replacement of numerous steering gears without correcting the concern.

Cause

This condition may be caused by inadequate lubrication of the steering intermediate shaft which results in a "slip stick" condition possibly resulting in the clunk noise.

Correction

Remove the intermediate steering shaft from the vehicle and lubricate the shaft with a Steering Column Shaft Lubrication Kit, P/N 26098237. Follow the service procedure listed below.

Remove the steering intermediate shaft from the vehicle. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement in the appropriate Service Manual.

Fully extend the intermediate shaft by pulling the two shafts apart.

Apply the grease supplied in the Steering Column Shaft Lubrication Kit in the aluminum end of the yoke opening. Direct the syringe tip as deep as possible into the yoke and dispense the full content of the syringe.

Install the rubber stop plug from the Steering Column Shaft Lubrication kit into the yoke opening.

Secure the rubber plug by swinging the upper yoke 90°. One ear of the yoke should press the rubber plug in.

Important

Make sure the intermediate shaft is being pressed over the ears of the solid shaft.

Use a hard surface to ease the collapse of the intermediate shaft. It is best to use a pumping action when collapsing the shaft. Collapse the shaft as far as possible.

Remove the rubber stopper plug from the yoke end of the shaft.

Slowly extend the intermediate shaft apart.

Inspect the intermediate shaft for a minimum of 5 mm (0.2 in) (a) of grease on the shaft splines.

Repeat steps 4-9 if less than 5 mm (0.2 in) of grease is on the shaft splines.

Important

Before installing the intermediate shaft in the vehicle, make sure to stroke and extend the intermediate shaft at least 15 TIMES to completely lubricate the internal surface of the slip joint.

Reinstall the intermediate shaft into the vehicle. Refer to Intermediate Steering Shaft Replacement in the appropriate Service Manual.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Steering Column Shaft Lube Kit

Hey Rick,

I would give it to your dealer in spades... There is a TSB for this issue on these cars!... Mine was replaced under warrantee by the previous owner...

I love the consistency in service you get from dealer to dealer. Your dealer pays for your force balance on your new tires… Mine says No freaking way…

I would push this up the chain to management… It’s a known issue… They applied patches in the past… And now they want cash!

The more I think about this... So as the grease dries out it rubs and klunks... Doesn't rubbing and clunking equal wear... How can GM guarantee that the shaft isn’t shot… As Logans TSB stipulates.

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

A friend of mine bought a new Chevy Truck (2004 I think). He had heard that it would have this problem with the intermediate shaft around 20K, they were right. Problem showed up at about 22k. Other then that he loves the truck, just like we love our Caddies hence we put up with these little problems.

This has been a know problem for years and years I can't believe GM hasn't been able to fix this in all that time.

All great comments guys. Too many questions and comments to answer all. Going to Mexico in a week.

Had the surgery today. Feels OK sounds OK. Remember I opted for the replacement. The grease job worked when under warrentee, but lasted less than a year. This was done under the TSB that I brought in to them.

Cost to me all in...$374.45. Took them just over an hour and a half.

Cost quoted to me for a grease job...$100.

We will see.

Rickster

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

Hey Rickster,

I don't know how you did it, but, man did you put a lot of miles on that caddy!?!?

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 50,300k

Sorry, man I couldn't resist...bored at work...peace out!

I like to drive. Have over 60 on her now.

Oddly enough, this is the exact issue I went to the dealer today....Besides the STS, I have a 03 Chev Tahoe...I had noticed the clunk in the steering wheel when I went over small bumps and finally got sick of it...They did the old grease job today and told me that it would be fine now...I really wish I had read this before I went there...BTW-started right at 20k miles <_<

Oddly enough, this is the exact issue I went to the dealer today....Besides the STS, I have a 03 Chev Tahoe...I had noticed the clunk in the steering wheel when I went over small bumps and finally got sick of it...They did the old grease job today and told me that it would be fine now...I really wish I had read this before I went there...BTW-started right at 20k miles <_<

20K miles, is quite a coincidence huh...

Rickster,

You say that you complained about it while it was still in warranty? There should be a record of the complaints in the car's service history. If so, you may STILL be able to get the work done under the warranty. The problem existed while the warranty was in effect and the complaint records should prove it. Have them print out the complete service history for your car. Then COMPLAIN to the service manager. If that dosen't work, call the Cadillac Consumer Relations Center. 800-263-3777. (Number was current in 1994 :P ). & tell them that you are seriously dissatisfied with this situation. Be kind when you talk to them, just let them know that you think that is should have been taken care of back when you complained and it was still under warranty. Let them know that you feel that you are getting the run-around by you dealers service department.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

• 1 month later...

OK. Back from the Yukatan and full of Tequila and Cervechie. I believe the freakin dealer did not replace the shaft. The same damm feeling is back after only a 1000km. I think all they did was grease the shaft and not replace. The only thing I hate more than poor service is poor service with a lie. I am pissed and I will respond.

OK. Back from the Yukatan and full of Tequila and Cervechie. I believe the freakin dealer did not replace the shaft. The same damm feeling is back after only a 1000km. I think all they did was grease the shaft and not replace. The only thing I hate more than poor service is poor service with a lie. I am pissed and I will respond.

Greasing the shaft is the prescribed solution, if I am not mistaken there was a problem with the grease drying up that causes the noise, replacing the shaft is not necessary. UNLESS the said they replaced it and charged you for a replacement, and didn't of course then that is different! Mike

2002 Silverado. Clunk in steering going over bumps. Could feel it in your hands while driving. Fixed under warranty. Happy camper.

Archived