CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

700 4R ?

dosbevos

91 cad FWB 350 chevy, 700 4R trans- trans slips and engine flairs trying to shift into 3rd-trans fluid looks OK, TV cable seems OK, no broken parts in pan. Is there a solenoid that controls the 2-3 shift? Looking for ideas, can't seem to find anything wrong-no trouble codes

Rdosbevos

How many miles are on the tranny? Did the oil feel gritty? Were there shavings on the magnet in the pan?

I am pretty sure that the older 700 trannys were not computer controlled. From what I remember I think it was 1993 GM went to computer controlled 4 speeds in RWD cars but I am not 100% sure.

Best thing I could suggest right now is CHANGE the oil and filter and add some Lucas Transmission Additive. I've had some pretty good luck with the Lucas stuff and I add a bottle everytime I change my tranny oil. I usually change my tranny oil in my truck that has a 700R4 at least once a year, last year I did it twice because of lots of towing and miles. Good luck.

Spence

I will check my '93 Fleetwood Brougham manual for a list of things to check for 2-3 slipping this evening and post back. The '93 has a 4L60 which is a variant of the 700-R4. The electronically controlled trans, 4L60-E was not used until the '94 model year.

Personally, I wouldn't put too much faith in any trans oil additive.....there is probably a mechanical failure causing the slipping.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

There are numerous causes for the 2-3 slipping symptom you describe. Torque converter, accumulator valve spring, clutch pack, etc. I can scan the chart from the shop manual if you wish but you probably need to get the car to the dealer or a reputable transmission shop as I don't think there is an easy fix.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 4 weeks later...

hello kevin- looking for information on bench checking the 700 r4 by applying air pressure to the pressure tap on side of case. I have replaced clutches, seals, reaction sun shell, 2-4 band and low/rev sprag. Problem- trans ties up in rev- the servo is applying the 2-4 band in reverse - any ideas

Rdosbevos

thanks ed for your reply - still trying to figure the tie-up in reverse problem, it has to be something I did since no one else seems to have had this problem. any ideas-how is pressure getting to the servo with selecter in reverse?

health&happiness dosbevos

• 2 weeks later...

Archived