CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

92 Seville Problem- Any Suggestions

I have a 1992 Cadillac Seville that I bought and it ran fine for a while but now it starts occasionally and then once it starts it runs for about 15 minutes and it just cuts out. I am thinking it may be the fuel pump but am not too sure about this one. Just wondering if anyone has had this problem or would be able to help me figure out what it could possibly be. I would really appreciate any advice, Thanks.

Check your fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vacuum hose while someone is attempting to start it and see if there is gas present, there should not be. You did not say what size the engine is, I assume it is a 4.9? If it is a 4.9 the FPR is on the drivers side of the throttle body, it looks like a small cylinder with a gas line going in one end and a rubber hose on the other.

Put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve and watch to see what happens just before it quits. Report back the fuel pressure. Have you changed your fuel filter? Its possible that your fuel pump dies when it gets hot. If that is not the cause, its possible that your ignition module in the distributor is overheating or is intermittant/quitting when hot.

When it quits does it slow down and sputter stall or cut off fast?

I agree with Scotty. Get a fuel pressure guage on it and see what pressure you have and what happens to it when it dies. I suspect you'll see the pressure fall off when it dies.

I will definetly have to try using the pressure gauge like you said, that could probably tell me a lot.

It cuts out quick when it does stop running.

I will have to make another post tommorow after I play with it a little and hopefully your guidance gives me some insight to the problem. Thanks Guys!

I will definetly have to try using the pressure gauge like you said, that could probably tell me a lot. 

It cuts out quick when it does stop running.

I will have to make another post tommorow after I play with it a little and hopefully your guidance gives me some insight to the problem.  Thanks Guys!

You can buy a fuel pressure gauge for your car at a sears or any common auto parts, auto barn, napa, maybe even pep boys, etc.. If you can get one with a long hose on it (we all like to have long hoses) do it as you can tape it to our windshield and see it as you drive the car, and its a nice feature for future use if you can find the long hose... But if it will quit while its idling a short hose will do for now and you can always modify yours when you need too later.. Good Luck, Mike

How are the fuel injectors? They can sometimes be symtomatic, somewhat in the fashion you are describing. Even one bad injector will cause serious issues. I remember a few 3.1 V6's acting much like what you describe, when even one injector became bad. Not that I disagree with anything recommended, this is just something else to check. Checking the fuel pressure may be the best starting point. Good luck. Oh, were there some bad computers or E-PROM units in your year? Maybe that problem displays differently, but just a thought. How is the EGR system?

Couple of ideas.....

Maybe fuel pump in tank harness issue...

Maybe bad ECM.....

Maybe bad/green AC pick up coil inside the distributer.

Also on the '92 with 4.9....the front engine mounted engine ground...mounted near the starter can go bad.

To me...it sounds like a warm ECM or ignition pick up failure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived