CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Automatic door locks

vern

My 1992 Deville is becoming increasing difficult to shift into gear as one puts their foot on the brake. Is there anyway to disconnect this? I find myself pushing harder on the brake or tugging on the shift lever. I just know someday it isn't going to work and leave me stranded. Thanx

If I remember correctly, there are two sets of electrical contacts on the switch at the brake pedal. One set operates the brake lights and the other set is used by the cruise control and door lock circuits etc. via the PCM.

It's possible you might have a difficulty "down there."

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

I am not sure if the 92 has this but, it sounds like you are having problems with the shift-lock. It releases to allow you to take your car out of PARK when you put you foot on the brake, is that what you are talking about? There is a solenoid that releases when you put your foot on the brake, listen for the clicking, when the car is in park and you press the brake. Its either mis-aligned or sluggish from the cold weather, should be simple to fix.

I am not sure if the 92 has this but, it sounds like you are having problems with the shift-lock. It releases to allow you to take your car out of PARK when you put you foot on the brake, is that what you are talking about? There is a solenoid that releases when you put your foot on the brake, listen for the clicking, when the car is in park and you press the brake. Its either mis-aligned or sluggish from the cold weather, should be simple to fix.

I had a 91 sedan deville and it definately had it, the shift lock. I could hear it click everytime I hit the brake in park. Sounds like this is the problem. As far as realigning it, I'm not sure at all, the procedure must be on the site somewhere?

Chris

Christopher Petro

94 sts

67 coupe de Ville

user posted image

Archived