CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

what does service idle control mean?

sts man

A few days ago I noticed the idle was a little high about 1200 rpm I know normal is about 700rpm.After I turned the car off when I got to the store.Anyway when I left I turned the car on, the display where it tells you outside temp ,gas range etc .service idle control was flashing. What does it mean? And what do I need to do to fix it? can it hurt anything to drive it in the meantime? Thank You

:blink: I cleaned the TB about 2 months ago, I'll clean it again. I'll keep you posted.

I was getting Service Idle Control for a couple of months, what was happening was that she was hanging up and idling in the 1,100 to 1,200 range in DRIVE :blink: , I could cut it down by putting the selector in N, and quickly flooring it and releasing the accelerator quickly.

Like Guru said, a really good TB cleaning fixed it, a ridge had developed where the plates contacted the throat holding the plates open. Clean the plates, their edges, and the throat all the way around, I used GM upper engine cleaner, a tooth brush, a mirror, and a rag. It took multiple cleanings to get it right, one of these warm days I plan to take the TB off to clean it right...

Archived