CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Battery will not hold a charge

chriskoc1

I have found the problem!!!!! They traced a ground wire back and found a critter (crazy squirrel or chipmunk) had chewed through enough insulation to short out the vehicle whenever the wire flexed. Any thoughts anyone?

Terrific! any thoughts?, find the rodent and take him for a long ride....

Did they fix the wire?

I have found the problem!!!!!  They traced a ground wire back and found a critter (crazy squirrel or chipmunk) had chewed through enough insulation to short out the vehicle whenever the wire flexed.  Any thoughts anyone?

If it was a ground wire, what was it "shorting" to, what was it touching?? It was connected to the chassis or body anyway, correct?

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Maybe I wrote that wrong. The electrical system just shut off whenever the wire moved. I thought it was crazy that ground wire could cause a problem like this. The wire was pretty corroded and it seemed like it happened when the previous owner had the car. I guess the recent snowstorm or me cleaning some gunk out of the engine allowed water to push it over the edge. They replaced the wire which fixed everything.

Hey thats great chris! And yes a strategic ground wire with a poor or bad connection can cause fits. Your experience is very helpful to this group, this information will be invaluable going forward as your problem is difficult to diagnose. Could you do us a favor and post a photo and detail what ground wire was damaged if you could do that, it would be a big help to us for future reference...

Your ground wire was damaged, but sometimes the ground wire can be corroded and not be making a good connection to the frame. That can be difficult to diagnose. Your problem is illustrative of the fits a single bad ground can cause... Thanks, Mike

Archived