CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

AntiFreeze

Suggestions Anyone?

I have a 94 STS, 110,000.00 miles. Since summer i put in a brand new radiator, thermostat, new water pump, and radiator cap. Car never over heats, the highest it went to in the summer is 220-225 degrees, during winter driving in 10-degree weather 205. Every 3-4 day's when i check the antifreeze tank on the left, i need to add a pint or two to the tank. When i'm driving i don't smell antifreeze through the vents. There is no anti-freeze in the oil, and there ins non leaking inside of the car. Where the hell is it going. ANY SUGGESTIONS!!!!!!! :blink:

Make sure you're not overfilling the tank. If overfilled, you'll "lose" the extra coolant out the drain hose through the pressure cap. The proper level of the coolant in the tank (and this isn't described very well in the manual) is about 2" below the filler neck. Basically, you should just barely be able to touch coolant if you use your finger as a dipstick.

If it's not overfilled and you're not using it externally...then there's really only one other way to lose it -- internally. :( I'd look closer at an external leak. Sometimes, a leak can hide itself well. Look for stained or crusty areas near the water pump housing, water pump impeller seal, etc. You'll have to get under the car and probably remove an airfoil or two from below the front of the car to see up there well. Mine has a very slight leak at the water pump housing gasket (it's actually a rubber "ring" seal). The water pump housing is never wet, and there's never a live drip, but the engine cradle is wet just below it, and there's always some damp crusty residue at the housing seal mating surfaces. Your leak sounds quicker than mine, but I'd still look it over very carefully.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Have you tested the cooling system and the cap? Is it possible that you are overfilling? If you leave it to 5 or 6 days does it continue to loose coolant? I would start with the pressure test. You should be able to rent the tester at most auto parts stores.

HTH

John

Thank you all. Actually, now that it is mentioned. I think i'm over filling it. When i open the cap, it is about 2-inches down, and i'm thinking it's too low, so i fill it up again. now i see i'm just wasting my antifreeze. Thanks guy's. I'm a first time STS man, Thats why i come to this site for the best info

Once again

Thank You!!!! :D

Archived