CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Changing old brakes for new ones

98deville

I need to change my brakes on my 1998 deville d'elegance 4.6L and i'm not sure on what all has to be changed. I'm going with new rotors and pads on the front and rear of the car.Do the calipers and brake shoes have to be changed also?I was thinking of going with slotted rotors, but not sure which brand..and are my rear brakes disc or drum?

4 wheel disc on that car. All you need is pads unless other components are bad. Are you having problems or just maintenence related reason for change? I would not go with slotted rotors, you will eat up pads about twice as fast. If you want the sport look get cross drilled, I went with powerstop for my Deville. About $100/ea. Make sure and get the "cube" for the rear caliper pistons. The store will know what you mean. Good luck with the repair.

4 wheel disc on that car. All you need is pads unless other components are bad. Are you having problems or just maintenence related reason for change? I would not go with slotted rotors, you will eat up pads about twice as fast. If you want the sport look get cross drilled, I went with powerstop for my Deville. About $100/ea. Make sure and get the "cube" for the rear caliper pistons. The store will know what you mean. Good luck with the repair.

Ben how do you like the drilled rotors compared to stock, do you see/feel a difference? Mike

I dont know if brake dust is a problem for you but I changed to Performance Friction Ceramic Pads. Little to no dust. OEM type rotors will work as well as the drilled/sloted variety unless you use it for rally driving.

Pay attention to the condition of caliper bolts/pins and related bushings and lubricants. all this staff is as crucial for proper brake operation as the pads and rotors are.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

adallak is correct, if your brakes calipers have sliders with rubber bushings in them they need to be cleaned and properly lubricated or better yet replaced. Sometimes the replacement pads come with new rubber bushings and seals and a tube of grease. If your new pads don't have a slider kit check to see if one is available and purchase it separately if you have to. If I recall my last set of GM OEM brakes had the slider kit in the box with the pads.

Use only high temp brake quality silicone grease on the sliders petroleum based grease will swell the rubber parts.

Archived