CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The STS is great for winter driving!

AaronM

I love how this car plows through the snow. I park my car on the side of the garage so I have to drive throught the yard a little to get onto the driveway. There was about 7 inches of snow on the ground and the Caddy just plowed through it with no wheel spin at all. It felt like I had four wheel drive. I also had from doing my weekly WOT (on a street with no snow). I LOVE THIS CAR!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

I thought I might add that my car was not literally PLOWING, haha! That would be bad.

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

I know exactly what you mean we had a big storm here on tuesday and we have a 2000 grand am and my cadillac as our daily drivers my dad has two other cars but they stay in the garage for the winter!!! LOL But anyways during the big storm my dad said that he needed to get into work and we took my caddy which the tires are nearly 100% bald!!! I said why are u takeing this and he told me the added weight will give him more traction and I told him that the traction control wasn't working but he was detrmined anyways! So we got out of the driveway fine and there was about 6 or 7 inchs of snow only spining a little bit I was so surprised and on the road we had no problems what so ever I thought all that it would do is spin but I was wrong! It's great in the snow!!!!! I can't imagine what it would be like with studded winter tires it would be as good as some suv's!!!!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

I live in Oklahoma and we went to Albuquerque, New Mexico about 4 years

ago just before Christmas, and when we started home we ran into a snow

storm at El Reno, Oklahoma, and drove all the way home on snow covered

I-40 without any problem, we were in a 2001 de Ville// the only other vehicles

on the road were big trucks and I think i saw a Grand Am or two, it was

late at night. We drove about 170 miles under those conditions, I don't recall

any slipping or spinng with this car--I sent Cadillac an e-mail about the car

We're expecting two feet of snow here in New Jersey. Should be starting around noon.

IF she'll start, she'll go.

This morning temp gauge said it was 3F outside. Starter motor hung again initially and then turned over.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I wish automotive journalists would read sites like this and see just how terrible FWD is. I mean c'mon, driving through the snow like it's dry pavement? There's just GOT to be something wrong with that. Oh yeah, I remember, you can drive right past stuck MBs and BMWs on your way to work on a snowy morning. Nope, can't have an American car outdo the Germans -- convert the Seville to RWD!

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I wish automotive journalists would read sites like this and see just how terrible FWD is. I mean c'mon, driving through the snow like it's dry pavement? There's just GOT to be something wrong with that. Oh yeah, I remember, you can drive right past stuck MBs and BMWs on your way to work on a snowy morning. Nope, can't have an American car outdo the Germans -- convert the Seville to RWD!

I'll tell you something my mother once said. (She's from Germany)

Mom: "How strange that we see so many Mercedes and BMW's stuck in the snow in America. We never see this in Germany. Must be the driver, maybe the tires too."

Daughter: "But mom, does it snow in Germany?"

Mom: (GLARING EYES) "What are you stupid?"

Mom & Daughter: laughing... :lol:

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

We're expecting two feet of snow here in New Jersey. Should be starting around noon.

This morning temp gauge said it was 3F outside. Starter motor hung again initially and then turned over.

Marika, on your car you can get at the starter, if it sticks again you might be able to tap on the starter with a broom handle while someone is turning the key to free it, just a thought (don't forget your gloves, :P )

We're expecting two feet of snow here in New Jersey.  Should be starting around noon.

This morning temp gauge said it was 3F outside.  Starter motor hung again initially and then turned over.

Marika, on your car you can get at the starter, if it sticks again you might be able to tap on the starter with a broom handle while someone is turning the key to free it, just a thought (don't forget your gloves, :P )

LOL!! I've got the stick in the car, ready to go if the starter keeps hanging up. It's only when it gets into single digit degrees that the starter hangs on the first try. Called the mechanic, he's already pricing a new starter, just in case.

I've figured the FWD is better than the RWD as it has the added weight of the engine to push it down and maintain traction?

(My dad is a very big pro-FWD enthusiast.. of course, nothing beats the new AWD systems)

As for driving on snow.. We got about 15cms (so far this morning) and i jsut went for a drive in the '94 and it just plows right through it! Nothing like that thing for gettin' where you need to be!

However... Despite the StabiliTrak systems, etc, one thing that holds the '94 back in the wintertime is it's horsepower and quick pickup.... When on ice, even when barely hitting the gas the wheels end up spinning cause it's got so much power... Not as noticable on my '98 as the '94.. but nonetheless, an overall great car. Am yet to notice any skidding or sliding that hasn't been quickly fixed when that traction and stability system are engaged.

:D

I just came back from being out in the snow and my Deville rips through the snow its amazing.....BUT :blink: Stopping is a different story, I just tested the ABS coming to a stop and it was a white knuckler :unsure: It was close to me hitting the car at the stop light in front of me :blink: I think I was getting a false sense of security with its ability to pull away from the curb..... be careful folks... :lol:

We're expecting two feet of snow here in New Jersey.  Should be starting around noon.

This morning temp gauge said it was 3F outside.  Starter motor hung again initially and then turned over.

LOL!! I've got the stick in the car, ready to go if the starter keeps hanging up. It's only when it gets into single digit degrees that the starter hangs on the first try. Called the mechanic, he's already pricing a new starter, just in case.

Funny! my car is sluggish starting and until it warms up in less than 20 degree weather, I am using 10W30. Today I bought a case of 5W30 and will change to it asap to see if it makes any difference....

I think the 5W30 is ok in my 96 NS in cold weather, am I correct?

Glad this thread started. I have been a long time saying how my 98 STS handles snow.

Right now we are in the midst of a blizzard. An hour ago we found that there was an empty gas can for the snow thrower. There was 14" of snow in the driveway and the town plow truck had not been through yet. (Rural area of Saratoga).

Noone wanted to clean off the Mitsu to go to the country store (about three mi. away) So I put my boots on, fired up the "ole STS", opened the garage door and backed the "beast" down the driveway (gas can in trunk). The temp with wind chill is -30F. Got onto the road and it went through the snow like a hot knife through butter. The snow was so high it was actually getting tossed onto the hood and windshield. No problem stopping either, only once did anti-lock kick in but the car stayed straight as an arrow.

When I got to the store, after gasing the STS and the gas can the clerk said, "have any trouble getting here?" I said "nope". He said the plow truck drivers are getting stuck in this "muck". I said jokingly " maybe they ought to get a caddy with a plow", eh?

After picking up milk and cigarettes, I paid for everything and went home. What is significant is the trip to the store was mostly downhill, the trip back was uphill. The performance was the same except I was "plowing" a new trail uphill. This car never ceases to amaze me. No wheel spinning or wavering or trouble turning, just straight ahead going.

Now all I have to do is mop up all the water from the melting snow in my garage. No drains. The storm rages on and we expect at least another foot before it leaves. Oh, I did finally see a plow truck on my way home. My taxes at work! LOL

This is why I have no interest in this new rear wheel drive craze. I don't think that a Mercedes or BMW could have made this trip even if they followed my tracks. I would like a new 2006 DTS but I don't think I'll sell the STS until I know the DTS can cut the mustard. If necessary, I'll build a garage just for the STS.

Trust me, this is a well balanced car. When the going gets rough it knows exactly what to do. Amazing. :P

Funny! my car is sluggish starting and until it warms up in less than 20 degree weather, I am using 10W30. Today I bought a case of 5W30 and will change to it asap to see if it makes any difference....

I think the 5W30 is ok in my 96 NS in cold weather, am I correct?

This morning, as soon as the sun started to come up, I went outside, cleared the snow off the car which was easy thanks to all the wax on the car, climbed in and she started right up. Backed her out of the parking space and left her parked off on the side with the engine running and the ECON button ON!! After I cleared the space of the snow, I drove away and went to the local diner, I was the only customer there. With snow tires on all "fours", she handled the road very well and the ABS only kicked on once coming down a hill. Even traveling though unplowed areas was no problem for the "Greyhound".

By the way, I got my call letters assigned by the FCC recently: WQCA581 on frequencies 462.5500 through 462.7250 and 467.5625 through 467.7125 (FRS/GMRS Frequencies) so if anyone is in the area and gives me a shout, we can chat a bit. Enjoy this weather. :lol:

Just finished finished snowblowing the driveway, a 3 1/2 hour job. I measured, 23" of snow! Now I can relax, take a hot shower and get ready for some football. My son called me from work and said the tow truck drivers are making a fortune pulling cars out of the swales and medians. Quite a storm.

Got this email with a joke and figured y'all might get a chuckle out of it.

Subject: : Pulled Over

Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:54:03 -0500

A police officer pulls over a speeding car. The officer says, I clocked you at 80 miles per hour, sir."

The driver says, "Gee, officer I had it on cruise control at 60, perhaps your radar gun needs calibrating."

Not looking up from her knitting the wife says: "Now don't be silly dear, you know that this car doesn't have cruise control."

As the officer writes out the ticket, the driver looks over at his wife and growls, "Can't you please keep your mouth shut for once?" The wife smiles demurely and says, "You should be thankful your radar detector went off when it did."

As the officer makes out the second ticket for the illegal radar detector unit, the man glowers at his wife and says through clenched teeth, "Darn it, woman, can't you keep your mouth shut?" The officer frowns and says, "And I notice that you're not wearing your seat belt, sir. That's an automatic $75 fine."

The driver says, "Yeah, well, you see officer, I had it on, but took it off when you pulled me over so that I could get my license out of my back pocket." The wife says, "Now, dear, you know very well that you didn't have your seat belt on. You never wear your seat belt when you're driving."

And as the police officer is writing out the third ticket the driver turns to his wife and barks, "WHY DON'T YOU PLEASE SHUT UP??"

The officer looks over at the woman and asks, "Does your husband always talk to you this way, Ma'am?"

I love this part.... > > > > > > >"Only when he's been drinking." :o

For anyone who cares, I'll be betting Atlanta and Pittsburgh straight out (no points) with "Intertops online" today. My dream Superbowl is Atlanta and Pittsburgh.

For all of us caddy nuts, make sure you go to a carwash with a good "undercarriage" wash. This salt is murder. You should have seen what I mopped up in the garage. It "marinated" my mop. <_<

Cheers,

Sunday, at 1:00am, I was driving home on a three lane highway. Contrary to weather advisories it was only snowing lightly. Traveling at 35-38 mph in the right hand lane, I couldn't see a car in front of me; behind me I barely saw a faint pair of headlights in the distance.

With less than 100' to go I noticed that the right hand lane was no longer plowed. A diagonal 10" wall of snow was directly in front of me. I couldn't stop, nor could I swerve to the center lane without losing control.

I simply held on tight; the impact wasn't great at all. No worse, in fact, than striking a 2" puddle of water with the right side wheels. I simply continued straight ahead and slowly moved to the center lane. Voila! Home with a smile on my face one exit later! This car is nearly unstopable in the snow.

Had I been driving the Lincoln, it might have been the Queen Mary's last ride (mine too???).

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

My experience is that my 2000 STS is better in snow than my 93 STS because it seems to me that there is more ground clearance on the 2000 than the 1993. Does anyone know if that's true? With the 93, a couple of times I pushed too much snow and go the front wheels off the ground and that was the end of it. Haven't had the experience with the 2000.

Scotty- I am quite confident that the 5W-30 is perfectly fine, especially if temps are below 60'F. In fact, I believe it is encouraged for winter starting, even on the 4.9L. With the current quality of 5W-30 (API-SM, ILSAC GF4), I use the 5W-30 all the time without any trouble and exceptional used oil analysis results! What brand of oil do you use? The Northstar and 4.9 seem to be very easy on oil. One funny thing...because the NS consumes oil, the fresh quart every 1000-3000 seems to 'freshen' the crankcase. Annoying for some, but a benefit to the engine to have fresh oil introduced throughout the oil change interval. At any rate, 5W-30 should be great! If you struggle with extreme cold starting/low temps, the manual recommends even 0W-30 synthetic.

Dasher- When your 93STS became stuck, was one tire spinning, or two?

How do it know? ;)

Tried to move to the left lane on I-80 to pass a school bus going about 45 and the Big Red Dog said "not going there boss".

The left lane was perfect slush over wet icy base, such that the traction control kicked in ever so smoothly and then the cylinders dropped out just a bit. The BRD could only putter alongside the bus and that's not where I wanted to be...

No slide or anthing interesting, just had to go back behind the bus a few times until there was enough open wet pavement to get past without accelerating too much at any one time.

There were no problems at all last year when the BRD drove straight and true in the left lane past snowplow/whiteouts in the right lane over uneven ice and snow drifts at "higher speeds".

How do it know? :D

Too bad about RWD coming into favor over FWD, but WTF - go for the gusto AWD

Now if only someone could tweak the laws of physics to stop as good as it can start...

PS, Anyone have tires with winter "siping" (razor cuts to improve snow/ice handling)? The tires flex to present clean sharp edges for additional traction compared to molded grooves.

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

Archived