CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission fluid life

There is a DIC message that will tell you if you ever need to change the tranny fluid. From what I have read here and on the "other forum", the trans fluid never needs changing unless subjected to severe heating, at which point the car will tell you to change it....gotta love these cars!

Charles

Charles

Yes, under many cases, it never needs changing. I have 141k on mine, and it's still a dark red color. Obviously not new, but far from visually expired.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

It certainly is a good idea to keep the fluid changed and screens cleaned every so often. I understand the fluid is supposed to be good for the life of the car...yeah, so how long does one expect the car to last... For the cost, changiung the fluid every 30,000-50,000 is a good idea. I have a friend that never changed the fluid on a 97 Camaro, but the trans was nearly gone at 65000. I have found the fluid can get pretty hot at times. This shortens the life, not only of the fluid but the transmission. Good luck.

Keep in mind that the ATF color isn't a complete indicator of the actual condition. Using color and appearance and following the manual, I didn't change it on a 97 Riviera. The trans started jerking and slipping and required an overhaul at 75000. Personally, I stress the importance of changing the fluid and filter somewhat regularily. The service mgrs at three caddy dealers I've used also recommend changing it regularily. Others may disagree.

I change the fluids according to the recommendations of the OEM. That includes following the oil life monitor for the engine oil, and the transmission fluid indicator for the transmission fluid. I figure if the engineers recommend the fluid never need changing under certain conditions, THEY are the ones who know best. Either that, or some kid sabotaged the Owner's Manual and slipped some incorrect information in there. I think the owner's manual recommended ATF changes on my '84 Cutlass at 100k miles. The tranny didn't make it...but that wasn't because of the fluid. I changed the fluid when I got it at 58k miles. Something with the reverse gear clutch failed...all too common of a problem with TH-200-C transmissions. Contrast that to the 4T80-E in our Seville, one that shifts smooth and flawless, and still sees 3-4 WOT upshifts every week.

I don't know how else to gauge transmission fluid condition other than looking at the appearance and the smell. It doesn't smell burnt or smoky, nor does it look brown or otherwise damaged. It just looks like well-used fluid. I do plan to change it soon...150k miles is an awful long time on fluid, and I feel safer changing it. Having said that, I personally believe it's overkill (and the owner's manual agrees) to change it every 30k-50k miles. There's a lot more cost than simply out of pocket expense. There's the environmental cost of refining the new fluid, recycling the old fluid, and transportation expenses for both.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

On my 93 trans oil life is found by entering diagnostics and selecting ps15 under PCM overides. 94 should be the same. This will tell you the expected life of the OIL. You also need to inspect the fluid. Take a white paper towel or rag and wipe off the dipstick. Is the fluid dark red or is it brown? Did it leave a trail of black? Does it smell burned? Any burned smell you should change. If it is reddish brown you should change it. If it is bright red or dark red it is fine. If it leaves more than a light trail of black it should be changed. The black dust is the magnetic TCC dust.

HTH

John

Archived