CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bad oxygen sensors...

scottshoe

Both of my oxygen sensors took a dump on my 97 STS. I think Autozone wants $60 each. I thought that was a little pricey, even for a Caddy. It's the pre-cat ones, both banks are bad. I was wondering if anyone has replaced theirs and if I should put Factory GM ones in or if they are all the same more or less.

Not to doubt you, but how do you know they are bad. The likleyhood of both going out at the same time is slim. Other electrical failures could look like failures of the sensors, like if the heater circuit was bad. Do you have any codes?

If they are bad you could check rockauto.com or gmpartsdirect.com.

Service Engine Soon light came on. There are 5 codes as read last week (some may be old) The codes said both were bad, along with a mis-firing cylinder. So I am going to put 2 oxy sensors in and put some new Accell 300+ wires on it and some new plugs. I heard that Bosch is the OEM supplier for the sensors and I was going to try those. The car has 77,000 miles and I thought it odd that the sensors went also.

I am fairly sure that Bosch is not the OEM supplier for Cadillac oxygen sensors. My guess would be that AC-Delco is the OEM supplier for Cadillac. Bosch probably for BMW and the like...

Charles

Charles

As you noted, it seems very odd that both O2 sensors failed at the same time. Were there no codes beforehand? What I mean is, could one of the O2 sensors been out for some time already?

Maybe the misfire and O2 problems are inter-related.

1. Perhaps if you fixed the misfire, the O2 sensors would clear up?

2. On the other hand, would truely defective O2 sensors cause a misfire with a marginal wires/plug?

I think I would try #1 fix first with genuine GM/Delco wires/plugs.

Or simpler yet, just verify the wire routing to begin with and mist the wires to check for stray voltages.

Good luck :)

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

I think I'll change the plugs and wires and then disconnect the battery for a while and see if the service light comes back on after it's hooked up again. I'm installing the new exhaust at the same time and will have to unhook the battery anyway so the computer can re-set and adjust for them. Thanks for the advice, I'll keep you guys informed so that maybe we can help somebody in the future. :rolleyes:

So far, so good! I changed the plugs and wires today. 3 of the plugs were missing the electrode on the ground side of the plug. I am gonna guess that it has been run on cheap gas at some point at maybe detonation occured? The car has only 75,000 miles on it so.... the wires looked to be the originals before I changed them. Anyway, I unhooked the battery for a couple hours and then when I finished working on it I started it and let it run in the garage about 15 minutes and then took it for a 15 minute drive and no Service Engine light! (Yet) Hopefully I won't have to buy O2 ssensors after all! I'll follow up after I drive the car a little more.

Bosch is the leader in oxygen sensors, most all manf. use their sensor and bosch just puts what ever name they want on it. THeir is no more AC DELCO , IT IS DELPHI NOW, and they job out parts to their specs. IF you buy parts at cadillac , most of the newer parts have DELPHI , ON them, just got a DELPHI baTTery today from cad. dealer.

After about an hour of driving, the Service Engine Soon light came back on. Looks as if I will be replacing the O2 sensors after all. I haven't read the codes yet, I'll be doing it soon. I'm in no hurry because the car isn't driven more than once a week (only once in the last month actually) I think I will be using the Bosch brand O2 sensors dur to the fact that they have a warrany and the oem GM stuff doesn't.

Archived