CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Starter Motor Dislikes the Cold

Marika

This morning, again, my starter motor spun but didn't engage which I tried to start the car. (14F outside). What can I do other than replace it, or should I just wait and see what happens?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

If your starter is spinning free, it sounds like your started drive/solenoid is binding. Its possible that there is a lubricant in there that has dried up and becomes like molassas when cold and the drive is unable to move out to engage the flywheel. I don't know how good your mechanic is, but disassembling the starter and cleaning/replacing the drive would probably fix the problem, however many mechanics just replace the component and prefer not to fool with trying to fix the problem. Is this only happening when its cold?

And it is cold today, my car groans badly and is very tight in the cold, I really hate starting her in this weather.

It's only happening when it's very cold out, like today, or the other morning when it was 5F out. Once the car warms up it's fine. I bought this car for $2,000 but I've put nearly $7,000 into fixing all sorts of stuff, mostly just maintenance items that the previous owner ignored, such as the famous "Service Ride Control" message, burnt out third brake light, busted power antenna unit, brakes all around, new tires, leaking air conditioning that still leaks even after being supposedly "fixed" (A/C Refrigerant Low Service A/C soon) and a host of other "stuff", mostly small items that failed, like door lock actuators, that cost some money and take time and are nonetheless annoying. I know the car is old but this is driving me crazy and driving me into the poor house.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Unfortunately, it sounds like its time to sell it when it gets that bad. You have been quite upset with your car lately. I can remember when you originally joined how you were so proud of that car, so I am sensitive to your change of feelings toward it... Older cars can be cash suckers unless you do the work yourself, and then you need the time and place to work on them...

If its any consolation, my car feels terrible in this kind of cold (starter, steering, suspension, and engine is sluggish), so I sort of understand what you are going through. Is there a garage you can share that might help the problem during the winter?

Archived