CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

transmission fluid change diy questions

kobalt

With my SLS just past the 50k mark its time for a transmission fluid change. I was thinking of doing it myself and had the experience of changing fluid three other times around; a 86 Tempo, 93 Galant, and a 95 530i - all were straightforward.

Since it is currently snowing outside and I just purchased the car last week, I admittedly have only had a brief look underneath to check for leaks. No Helm's manual as of yet, so I ask you what is the deal with the SLS? Any unusual procedures to follow? Is there a drain plug or do I drop the pan? Is the filter easiely replacable on the 4t80e? What is the recommended fluid and how much should I get? Thanx again gents!

p.s a quick pick of big daddy north*!

001.jpg

I posted this on the old board a couple of years ago when I did mine (not sure how the '97 differs from yours as far as the cooling line location though)

----------------------

I recently dropped the pan and changed the screens on my 97 STS

and was Extremely dissappointed to find that I only changed 3 or

4 quarts by doing so. It just left SO much old fluid in the

transmission!

So.... what I did (with some info from here) was to remove the

top trans cooling line from the radiator and put a short piece

of steel tubing of the same size (2 or 3 inches) and 5 feet of

clear PVC tubing clamped to it (REALLY easy to do it's right

under the "flap" above the left headlight)

I put the tubing into a 5 gal gas can, that I could kind of see

through, took 20 quarts of trans fluid and un-capped them,

poured three extra quarts into the transmission, started the car

and POURED IN FLUID LIKE A MAD-MAN :D -hehe

When it was clear that I might be getting a little behind (it

pumps out pretty fast even at an idle) I shut it off to catch-

up. When the gas can reached 5 gallons and I had poured all 20

quarts in I figured I had a real "Flush" and that not Too much

old fluid could have remained. I certainly could see the color

change in the clear tubing.

2 cases of trans fluid is really pretty cheap and I took the gas

can with the old fluid in it to my local gas station and poured

it in their waste oil tank.

------------------------

btw, I wouldn't really recommend changing the "screens", as I did, unless you are having trans problems. They're not really "filters" that need changing but rather pick-up screens and mine looked as new as when the car was first built!

Actually, once you remove the pan there is a drain plug inside the transmission. I cannot remember exactly where it is, but the bolt looks different than the regular black transmission bolts.

Pop that puppy out and you will get a lot more fluid out of the side cover etc.

Check the archives as many people have changed there own fluid. Doesn't seem to be that difficult. The screens get cleaned so no filter to buy...Drain plug along the inside of the tranny to get the remaining fluid to drain...

Isn't 50,000 miles too soon anyway? What does the DIC read? Is there a DIC in your car? (97?) {No Pun Intended!} Guru has always suggested folllowing the maintainance schedule...100,000 miles I believe... Have you pulled the stick an looked at/smelled the fluid...? My '99 is the first car I have EVER owned where the tranny fluid appears to be new in color AND it doesn't even have a hint of the typical burned tranny fluid smell.

Welcome to Cadillac!

Enjoy many WOT's!

Depending on how you drive, transmission fluid may be good for the life of the vehicle. If you drive the "severe service" schedule as indicated in the manual, I think you're supposed to change the fluid every 100k miles. If you drive the other schedule, fluid is good for the life of the vehicle. My '97 with 141,000 miles has the original fluid. I do plan to change it sometime soon. The fluid is still pretty red. Not like new obivously, but not burnt either. It's a pretty dark red, but still better than I thought it'd be.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

kolbalt - Do Not Drop your pan! There really is No Reason to do so. You'll just end up with problems later because most people are reinstalling them with "cheap" non-OEM gaskets that are going to leak later on :)

Simply exchange the fluid through the cooling lines as I described. The screens are fine, I'm sure, and the Only way to get your old fluid out of the converter and do a complete flush (removing the "plug" just gets you a few more quarts)

50K sounds right to me, I don't know of a good reason to wait longer, especially with a trans you don't know the history of.

Check the archives as many people have changed there own fluid.  Doesn't seem to be that difficult.  The screens get cleaned so no filter to buy...Drain plug along the inside of the tranny to get the remaining fluid to drain...

Isn't 50,000 miles too soon anyway?  What does the DIC read? Is there a DIC in your car? (97?) {No Pun Intended!}  Guru has always suggested folllowing the maintainance schedule...100,000 miles I believe...  Have you pulled the stick an looked at/smelled the fluid...? My '99 is the first car I have EVER owned where the tranny fluid appears to be new in color AND it doesn't even have a hint of the typical burned tranny fluid smell.

Welcome to Cadillac!

Enjoy many WOT's!

Thanx for the welcome! Since the car is almost 7 years and while I do not believe the car experienced spirited use (I have the infamous carbon buildup knock :o and the previous owner was an older gentlemen), the manual calls for fluid change under heavy use after 50k miles. I do intend fully to get rid of this carbon buildup and enjoy the northstar tug at wot but want to protect the transaxle beforehand with a fluid change.

As for the DIC it states 100%. I take it with a grain of salt, however I know someone with the same car with over double the milage and the DIC also at 100%.

One comment about flushing via the top line in the radiator cooler. You will find quick disconnect type fittings on the tranny plumbing at the radiator end (at least my '98 has them); do not drop the locking clip and be careful with the O ring seal.

I fabricated a brass fitting to replace the quick disconnect temporarily and clamped some flex hose on the copper fitting. Pump the tranny dry, stop the engine immediately, fill and you are good to go.

I have a pix of the brass fitting if you want to see what I'm talking about.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

kolbalt - Do Not Drop your pan! There really is No Reason to do so. You'll just end up with problems later because most people are reinstalling them with "cheap" non-OEM gaskets that are going to leak later on :)

Simply exchange the fluid through the cooling lines as I described. The screens are fine, I'm sure, and the Only way to get your old fluid out of the converter and do a complete flush (removing the "plug" just gets you a few more quarts)

50K sounds right to me, I don't know of a good reason to wait longer, especially with a trans you don't know the history of.

Look like I just might do what you suggested - hopefully I will not overfill!

As for the DIC it states 100%. I take it with a grain of salt, however I know someone with the same car with over double the milage and the DIC also at 100%.

I believe the DIC will always read 100% unless the transmission fluid has ever gotten hot enough as to degrade it. Again, under normal circumstances, you never have to change the fluid.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

RalPh, one more question - perhaps a stupid one: Where do I attach the tubing, to the top radiator fitting OR the line that normally attaches to that fitting? I.e where is the fluid going to be coming out from? Thanx again buddy.

Again, I don't want to direct you on your '98... but on my '97 I put the short piece of steel tubing w/fitting INTO the radiator where the top cooling line was removed (got a 6" piece of steel brake/fuel line of the right size from the Auto Parts store and cut it in half).

Maybe they're the same... somebody here should know... (or you could just try it, you'd know pretty quick) ;)

I see JimD above has some experience with a '98 and apparently you might not have "screw-in" cooling lines. Take him up on his offer to show you his pic of what he made

Again, I don't want to direct you on your '98... but on my '97 I put the short piece of steel tubing w/fitting INTO the radiator where the top cooling line was removed (got a 6" piece of steel brake/fuel line of the right size from the Auto Parts store and cut it in half).

Maybe they're the same... somebody here should know... (or you could just try it, you'd know pretty quick) ;)

I see JimD above has some experience with a '98 and apparently you might not have "screw-in" cooling lines. Take him up on his offer to show you his pic of what he made

Many many changes occured to Seville in '98 and it appears high pressure quick-disconnect fittings is one of those.

The tranny cooling tank in the radiator is threaded. A quick-disconnect fitting is threaded into the tank and the GM specific flare arrangement on the end of the tranny plumbing slips into that piece. There is an O ring for sealing and a locking device to hold it all together.

The reason I home-brewed a (90 degree) brass fitting was to make it easier to direct the fluid where I wanted it to go (up, in this case). The end tank is standard pipe thread and I believe brake plumbing is also pipe thread; however, there is not enough depth to the tank threads to accomodate a "flare".

I opened the plumbing at the quick-disconnect and removed the quick-disconnect fitting from the tank. Then I installed my home-brew brass adapter in the tank and clamped on a hose.

I have a pix of the home-brew piece but it's too large to post here.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived