CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

95 SLS Parting out Question

IaBoy

Hi... Sorry to have double posted this. I put it in the FOR SALE spot, then figured that probably was not the right place. I am kind of new please forgive me :).. Well I have a cracked transmission case with a $3,100 price tag to fix it. I have a White 1995 SLS and am curious about what parts on that car would be worth any money if I was going to part it out. The engine has always run very strong (133K) the transmission is good, but the case is cracked

I have nice Chrome wheels off later model Deville that look nice on it.

Just trying to make an intelegent decision on whether to fix it ond drive it till it drops or junk it. . thanks everyone.

Steve in Iowa

Did you check multiple sources before you came to the conclusion that the trans is 3100 dollars? Call independant trans shops in your area, search the car publications, ebay, you name it, as I am convinced you could do better than 3100 dollars! I saw a 95 in the junk yard by my house several months ago. Be careful to get one that is compatible with your year car.

Styes... I did answer some of your questions in a reply to my original post. I did call around to a salvage yard.. they said that 95 Seville and 95 Eldorado's were the only match for my transmission. They didn't have one, but did a "computer search" and found no good ones available. My Cadi dealership will put in any transmission I want them to put in, but they said too many times they have put in used stuff that has had problems then you just have double the labor to do it over.

It's a tough call for me. Maybe I will just have my wife walk to work!!.. :)

Steve in Iowa

IaBoy- You must be terribly frusterated with that car right now. If you're not, you should be, lol. How long have you and your wife owned the car? How long do you usually keep vehicles? Is she persistant on getting a new vehicle, right now? What will it cost you to find and purchase a 95 SLS on a lot?...$6000, 7000+, + tax, license, etc. Then it may likely need some tune-up items, possibly tires, alignment, brakes, whistles and dingers that may need repair, and the list can go on. Maybe you want to spend 2x or 3-6x that amount and get something even better. Will that bring unwanted departure of funds, at this time? How much better off will you be? $3100 is a lot of money, especially for something that seems as if it shouldn't have happened, right? If you have performed good maintenence, you know much of the history, and you weren't planning to trade any time soon, it may be wise to seriously consider repairing it in some form or fashion. I personally know of a 4T80E that became cracked, and it was about a year ago in frigid temps. I also had a 4T80E go bad. Somewhere in the 95 model year run, the 4T80E did get an extra/new brace, maybe internally, to add strength for problems such as you describe. The weak point that still remained were the shift solenoids, until ~97 (someone correct me), when they received an update. I have heard of these transmissions having some issues. Bruce also replaced the 4T80E in his 96STS, but for ~2/3 of the quote you were given. If it were my vehicle, I may try hard to locate a used 4T80E from a 97+ car with the proper 3.11 gearing and have the dealer install it since they already pulled the bad one out. If it was $400 to remove, is it going to be ~$400 to install? There is $800 + trans ($250-500). It should get you back on the road, and cost much less. Isn't that easier said than done? Hopefully you will find something that fits your needs. I wish you the best of luck! Take care!

Steve, for the basics, the 4T80E has hardly changed since 1993. I believe Guru has written that. If you choose one from a 93-96, it may be a good idea to have the shift solenoids replaced with the new, updated units to avoid any complications in the future. It may be interesting to do some extensive calling in search of a 4T80E from a 97+ vehicle. I am quite certain on the brace being added during the 95 model year run. If it would make one feel better, be certain it is a 96, 97 or newer trans. And as with all things, if you investigate and find a unit, get more input from experts here....I don't recall exact specifics.

It seems to me that the shift solenoids on the '95 and older cars seem to be much more prone to failure than on newer trannies. It doesn't seem that people have a lot of trouble from '96+ units.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived