CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Bleach-Free Tire Cleaner?

JasonA

Does anyone know of a tire cleaner that's specifically bleach-free? In light of the fact I just put new Michelins on the van, and will put new Michelins on the Cadillac before too long, I'd like to start off on the right foot. I'd been using Westley's Bleche White, which does a great job, but understanding that a bleach product does contribute to the "greying" of a tire, I'd like not to use it.

What do you all use out there? Also, it has to be available locally. No mail order stuff please. :)

Thanks in advance,

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Does anyone know of a tire cleaner that's specifically bleach-free? In light of the fact I just put new Michelins on the van, and will put new Michelins on the Cadillac before too long, I'd like to start off on the right foot. I'd been using Westley's Bleche White, which does a great job, but understanding that a bleach product does contribute to the "greying" of a tire, I'd like not to use it.

What do you all use out there? Also, it has to be available locally. No mail order stuff please. :)

Thanks in advance,

http://www.zymol.com/brite3.htm

http://www.zymol.com/brite_4.htm

http://www.zymol.com/tyre.htm

Mail order only, unless there's a Zymol dealership in your area, wherever that may be.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Hey jadcock: I'm wondering if we are about the same age. Back when I first started driving in 74, they made tire soap. It wasn't this nasty grease, as in the links. This stuff was soap. You mix a little with water, got after it with a scrub bursh, rinsed it off, and the tires had a natural black look.

I've looked and looked, and the only thing I can find is the nasty tire grease. I guess that they don't make the stuff anymore because it was just too cheap and the tires looked so good.

What makes you think Wesley's Bleche White has any bleach in it? Bleach, like Clorox, is sodium hypochlorite....I don't see any of that on the Wesley's label.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Me too, since 1967, on Michelins no less! Never had an issue.

I have used a lot of different tire products and they all seam really greasey to me!What is Wesley's, and does it contain some sort of bleach? I am still looking for a product that is long lasting will keep the shine for more than a week or two!

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

I have used a lot of different tire products and they all seam really greasey to me!What is Wesley's, and does it contain some sort of bleach? I am still looking for a product that is long lasting will keep the shine for more than a week or two!

Wesley's is just a tire cleaner, not tire shine or any type of dressing.

Eagle One All Wheel & tire Cleaner AtoZ

Used it all of last year and it works very good. Not quite as powerfull as Bleach White but close. After cleaning I like to use Meguiars Endurance (natural finish) or Zaino tire protectorant. Both are a satin, non-glossy, finish that lasts a few weeks .

What makes you think Wesley's Bleche White has any bleach in it? Bleach, like Clorox, is sodium hypochlorite....I don't see any of that on the Wesley's label.

Well, I just assumed I guess. I'll have to check it again. I've used it forever...since I started driving with white letter tires. I've never had a bad experience with it...I was just probing to see if there was something better out there. I assumed that since it's called "Bleche White", it's got bleach in it, but maybe not! I'll check the label again.

I'm glad I asked -- and I'm glad you all pointed this out to me. The label indicates only two specific chemicals, which I assume are related: Sodium metasilicate and sodium orthosilicate. Sounds much different from sodium hypochlorite.

I also realize that I might not have been using it correctly. I spray on and immediately scrub with a stiff brush. The directions say to let it set for a few minutes, then "wipe away soil and grime with a wet sponge or cloth".

I also realize that I might not have been using it correctly. I spray on and immediately scrub with a stiff brush. The directions say to let it set for a few minutes, then "wipe away soil and grime with a wet sponge or cloth".

Just do not let it set very long in direct sun light. Direct sun on a black tire gets hot very fast. It will dry it in no time at all and then it just spots the tire.

I made a home made on once LOL I took armour all multipurpose cleaner, meguires hot shine tire dressing, Meguires tire cleaner and the tires looked great LOL!!! The reason why I did this was because I had only a little bit left of everything but the tires looked really good! Maybe it was all in my head though!! :lol:

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

My usual method is to clean the tires with Wesley's Beche White, Then treat the tires with some sort of dressing. I have not found a dressing that I am totally happy with. They all either stain the rims by attracting road dirt and brake dust, or just do not give a long lasting shine. The best I would assume would be more like floor wax that won't crack...not that I know what that product might be. What I mean is, I've pretty much given up on tire dressings for the reasons stated above. So, I guess I'm probing too. Is there anything out there that can give a decent shine on a clean tire, harden or dry so that it won't attract dust, then be easily cleaned off the rims? I suppose it would be helpful if the product does not impair braking performance, but at this point, let's call that a secondary requirement. :D

I still have never tried the Meguires Endrurance tire shine, but I hear it is long lasting and can be applied without making a big mess on the wheels. I believe It comes with an applicator pad that prevents overspray! I think the reason why it doesn't dry is actually to protect your tire and keep it moist.

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

Moist is good in some places......as far as tires go, I'll take mine dry.

I have heard that Meguires Endurance lasts the longest! I will pick some up next time do my tires! During summer I have to applied different products every 3-7 days. I want somthing that will last!

IMPORT CRUSHER

user posted image

There are two kinds of Endurance. The gloss and the natural. IMO the natural is better looking but if you want "bling" go w/the gloss.

I dont live is a very dusty area but if I did I would probably buff the tire after applying and letting it set for 10 min. before buffing.

Zaino is available only on the net but it is just as good and may be easier to apply.

My usual method is to clean the tires with Wesley's Beche White, Then treat the tires with some sort of dressing. I have not found a dressing that I am totally happy with.  They all either stain the rims by attracting road dirt and brake dust, or just do not give a long lasting shine....Is there anything out there that can give a decent shine on a clean tire, harden or dry so that it won't attract dust, then be easily cleaned off the rims?

JohnnyG, I've recenty found a tire dressing that I've liked above all others. It's Teflon Tire Shine, by DuPont. It's not very widely available yet. I've only found it at PepBoys, and just recently, my local Advance Auto started carrying it. It's not overly glossy, goes on easy (it's supposed to be a spray-n-go, but I like to wipe it on with a sponge), and doesn't attract dust. It says so on the bottle, and it really seems to work! I don't know how long it lasts -- I wash the car at least once a week anyway. It dries really...DRY. It's not sticky or greasy like other products, and your tires feel like silk after an application. It does take a while to fully dry, or soak in, though...a few hours at least. You can certainly drive it before then (it doesn't sling off), but it won't feel perfectly satiney or silky until a few hours later.

The best part is, it's water-based. It's NOT petroleum-based, like pretty much every other one out there. I don't drive the Cadillac much in rain, so I can't tell you a lot about wet weather adherance. But I imagine that like most tire dressings, a day in the rain will start to diminish the results.

This stuff is available relatively inexpensively, though I think it's a buck or two more for a bottle than your standard Armor All or Formula 2001. I did a quick Google:

http://www.autobarn.net/tetish22ozby.html

Note, I am NOT a Jeff Gordon fan...but this DuPont stuff really impressed me! :) I think I pay about $5/bottle at PepBoys.

Here's a press release:

http://www.tenneco-automotive.com/news/pre.../12152003b.html

Wont they crack If they stay dry? I think the main purpose is to protect the tire!

From Yenko

quote feature not working tonight

Here's one way you can tell. Do you ever treat the inside surface of the tire? I mean the side facing the middle of the car. If you don't, you can peak in behind the tire to see just how much it has cracked. I have never had a tire crack from weather, and all I ever do is clean them with Wesley's Bleche White. I've just recently tried to use some of those dressings, and was dissapointed for the reasons stated ealier.

Thanks for the tip on the Dupont product. Probably made right down the road from here in Washington WV. I'll give it a try.

Wont they crack If they stay dry? I think the main purpose is to protect the tire!

They crack if you use the wrong kind of shine. Most of them are just that -- shine. Many don't have any protective properties at all. There was a pretty lengthy thread here a while ago about petroluem distillates in tire shines. Try to find a dressing withOUT these PDs. These are widely believed to cause cracking and browning. Some tires may or may not be more prone to that, I don't know. Indeed, certain tire warranties I believe are voided if you use dressings with PDs. Personally, I made the switch from Formula 2001 to DuPont because the DuPont product does NOT contain petroleum. Sure enough, the base of the sidewalls on my Michelin Pilots have a lot of small cracking on them. I don't know if that's stress or UV damage or what. I do know the tires are only 2.5 years old, and they were treated a constant diet of Formula 2001, until I switched. I hope to have better luck with the new tires with the DuPont product.

Archived