CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

ECON button just stopped working.

Marika

This is a paragraph out of my manual explaining AUTO/ECON. Imagine this for example, you are driving on the highway at 60 and you turn on your defroster and the air is not dehumidified and the windshield immediately fogs up from the humididity contained in the air flow until the heat is able to warm the inside of the windshield, this could contribute to an accident, the dehumidified air helps to minimize this problem, that is how I see it, Mike

post-3-1106139004.jpg

This is a paragraph out of my manual explaining AUTO/ECON.  Imagine this for example, you are driving on the highway at 60 and you turn on your defroster and the air is not dehumidified and the windshield immediately fogs up from the humididity contained in the air flow until the heat is able to warm the inside of the windshield, this could contribute to an accident, the dehumidified air helps to minimize this problem, that is how I see it, Mike

It says to use the ECON setting in cold weather to save fuel and since I have the temperature set at 90F the car gets furiously hot and like a hair dryer, it will drive off humidity, and it does. It even dries my long hair on the way to work...LOLOL! The heat is spectatular in this caddy, it's almost as good as the heat was from my old Chevy. Pure heat will always remove humidity from the air. I think AUTO setting is used when you are using lower temperature settings and there's not enough heat to drive off humidity so the compressor kicks on to assist in the removal of humidity. But when pure heat is available, humidity will disappear quickly on it's own.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

This is a paragraph out of my manual explaining AUTO/ECON.  Imagine this for example, you are driving on the highway at 60 and you turn on your defroster and the air is not dehumidified and the windshield immediately fogs up from the humididity contained in the air flow until the heat is able to warm the inside of the windshield, this could contribute to an accident, the dehumidified air helps to minimize this problem, that is how I see it, Mike

It says to use the ECON setting in cold weather to save fuel and since I have the temperature set at 90F the car gets furiously hot and like a hair dryer, it will drive off humidity, and it does. It even dries my long hair on the way to work...LOLOL! The heat is spectatular in this caddy, it's almost as good as the heat was from my old Chevy. Pure heat will always remove humidity from the air. I think AUTO setting is used when you are using lower temperature settings and there's not enough heat to drive off humidity so the compressor kicks on to assist in the removal of humidity. But when pure heat is available, humidity will disappear quickly on it's own.

You say pure heat will dry humidity and that may be true but I dont know how fast it will dry out and whether it will be dryed out sufficiently before it hits the windshield, but dehumidified heat will not fog the windshield as badly in certain conditions especially using the defroster and that is when the system calls for dehumidified air.

I also think that dehumidified heat is easier to breath but thats me...LOL..

Hello,

I think in the ECON modus, the AC is off and in the AUTO modus the AC is on.

Now, I can here and feel the AC compressor in the AUTO modus - I htink it´s normal !

If I drive in the winter I press the ECON button and the AC is OFF...

Now, I think the compressor must work a little in the cold time because

he is to get stuck !

Frank

Hello,

I think in the ECON modus, the AC is off and in the AUTO modus the AC is on.

Now, I can here and feel the AC compressor in the AUTO modus - I htink it´s normal !

If I drive in the winter I press the ECON button and the AC is OFF...

Now, I think the compressor must work a little in the cold time because

he is to get stuck !

Frank

That's true also Frank, a side benefit of running the compressor in the winter is that the seals get lubricated preventing refrigerant loss.. In the old days they recommended running the AC in the winter to do just that...

It says to use the ECON setting in cold weather to save fuel and since I have the temperature set at 90F the car gets furiously hot and like a hair dryer, it will drive off humidity, and it does.

That statement from the manual is simply to suggest using ECON instead of A/C when it's cool enough for you not to need the A/C compressor...like temperatures in the 50s or 60s for example. The A/C compressor WILL run in AUTO mode...as long as the temperature is above 40*F or so, the compressor WILL run, whether you personally really need it to or not. If you can get away with not running the A/C, use the ECON button to lock the A/C compressor out, but still have the HVAC on. That's the sole purpose for that ECON button.

As stated, if you use the front defroster mode, the A/C compressor will always come on (unless it's colder than 40*F), regardless of the status of the ECON button. While it's true that hot air should dehumidify the car (since hot air holds more moisture than cold air), you really need to have the drying effect of the A/C compressor in defrosting mode to ensure that you get as little condensation on the windshield as possible.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

"Pure heat will always remove humidity from the air."

Remember, a given parcell of air will hold more moisture at warmer tempuratures. As the tempurature decreases, so does the air's ability to hold moisture.

Simply put, the ECON button is nothing more than an A/C compressor bypass switch. ECON operates exactly the same as AUTO without the A/C compressor.

Archived